Program: Biology (BA, BS)
Date: Thu Oct 08, 2009 - 2:42:55 pm
1) List your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs).
Student Learning Outcomes
Assessment Data-Collection Method
1. Students will be able to apply a scientific process.
Ø Design and conduct experiments
Ø Generate, test, and analyze hypotheses
Ø Develop laboratories techniques with laboratory safety
Ø Check students’ laboratory notebooks.
Ø Observe students as they perform a laboratory practical on a specific technique
2. Students will be able to communicate about biological science.
Ø Write scientific laboratory reports, research proposal, and poster boards.
Ø Demonstrate ability to use scientific journals, periodicals, and electronic media to access current biological information.
Ø Demonstrate ability to evaluate journal articles from the primary literature.
Ø Prepare and deliver oral reports on scientific findings.
Ø Review students’ written laboratory reports, research proposals, and poster boards.
Ø Evaluate students’ oral presentations in various courses
3. Students will be able to recall foundational biological information necessary for entering post-baccalaureate school or entering a career in the biological sciences.
Ø Demonstrate understanding of cell structure, cell physiology, and molecular processes of cells.
Ø Demonstrate understanding of the principles of organismal physiology, evolution, and ecology.
Ø Demonstrate understanding of the relationship between cellular/molecular and supraorganismic principles.
Ø Students’ answers on exams that are similar to the standardized tests.
Ø Obtain students’ results on different standardized tests.
Ø Senior capstone experience
Ø Research papers
Ø Student portfolios
2) Where are your program's SLOs published?
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Upload your program's current curriculum map(s) as a PDF.
- File (03/16/2020)
4) What percentage of courses have the course SLOs explicitly stated on the course syllabus, department website, or other publicly available document? (Check one)
5) State the SLO(s) that was Assessed, Targeted, or Studied
6) State the Assessment Question(s) and/or Goal(s) of Assessment Activity
7) State the Type(s) of Evidence Gathered
8) State How the Evidence was Interpreted, Evaluated, or Analyzed
9) State How Many Pieces of Evidence Were Collected
10) Summarize the Actual Results
11) Briefly Describe the Distribution and Discussion of Results
12) Describe Conclusions and Discoveries
13) Use of Results/Program Modifications: State How the Program Used the Results --or-- Explain Planned Use of Results
14) Reflect on the Assessment Process
15) Other Important Information