Program: History (MA)
Date: Fri Oct 14, 2011 - 3:06:13 pm
1) Below are your program student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
MA Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
1) Students can demonstrate an understanding of the theories and methodologies of the discipline of history.
2) Students can demonstrate a critical understanding of the historiography of their fields of specialization.
3) Students can conduct original research based on primary sources.
4) Students can write expository prose and orally present their ideas at an advanced level.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Below is the link(s) to your program's curriculum map(s). If we do not have your curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
- File (03/16/2020)
5) For the period June 1, 2010 to September 30, 2011: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
We developed a new four-year Assessment Plan for the MA program, and will implement it from the next academic year (2012/13). Details of our plan are as follows:
2012-2013: SLO#4 (fall--MA thesis/ Plan A)
2013-2014: SLO#3 (fall--MA thesis/ Plan A)
2014-2015: SLO#2 (fall--MA thesis/ Plan A)
2015-2016: SLO#1 (fall--MA thesis/ Plan A)
Please note: Currently there are no MA Plan B students enrolled in the Department. Therefore, and as of now, we consider that there is no need for an assessment plan.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #5.
We plan to collect MA theses that are completed in Spring 2012 and evaluate them in Fall 2012.
7) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
8) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
9) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
10) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #5:
Summarize the actual results.
11) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
13) Other important information.
Please note: If the program did not engage in assessment, please explain. If the program created an assessment plan for next year, please give an overview.