Program: Nutritional Sciences (MS)
Date: Tue Nov 16, 2010 - 6:00:47 pm
1) Below are the program student learning outcomes submitted last year. Please add/delete/modify as needed.
The learning objectives of the Nutritional Sciences MS program are that students will:
a. Demonstrate mastery of fundamental knowledge in the field of nutrition.
b. Demonstrate advanced scholarship in their specialty area in the field of nutrition.
c. Communicate both orally and in writing at a high level of proficiency.
d. Conduct and interpret nutrition research.
e. Function as a professional in their chosen discipline.
2) As of last year, your program's SLOs were published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Below is the link to your program's curriculum map (if submitted in 2009). If it has changed or if we do not have your program's curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
4) The percentage of courses in 2009 that had course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is indicated below. Please update as needed.
5) State the assessment question(s) and/or goals of the assessment activity. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
The program wanted to understand MS students' expectation for careers and assess how well the program is meeting those expectations.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered.
Current MS students (Fall 2010) were surveyed for their career goals upon entering our MS program, and recent graduates (last 5 years) were surveyed as to their actual career paths.
7) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected?
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
8) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence?
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
9) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated.
If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
- 10 current students
- 25 recent graduates
10) Summarize the actual results.
Student expectations for careers seem to be in line with the types of jobs/careers alumni are reporting.
11) How did your program use the results? --or-- Explain planned use of results.
Please be specific.
Grad Chair sent resuts to graduate faculty for thier review and comment. Feedback was very positive on the strenght of our graduates.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries? This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
13) Other important information:
We think we are doing well in preparing graduates for careers in Nutritional Sciences.