Program: Women's Studies (Undergrad Cert)
Degree: Certificate, Undergraduate
Date: Fri Oct 15, 2010 - 3:47:04 pm
1) Below are the program student learning outcomes submitted last year. Please add/delete/modify as needed.
1. Application of critical thinking skills; 2. Application of key concepts in Women's Studies; 3. Improved writing skills; 4. Improved oral communication skills; 5. Awareness of interdisciplinarity of Women's Studies; 6. Understanding and Appllying analysis of gender, race, and colonialism in the Asia-Pacific context; 7. Ability to connect the classroom with real world issues; 8. Awareness of issues of masculinity in addition to those of femininity.
2) As of last year, your program's SLOs were published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online: the same as the website
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: NA
3) Below is the link to your program's curriculum map (if submitted in 2009). If it has changed or if we do not have your program's curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
4) The percentage of courses in 2009 that had course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is indicated below. Please update as needed.
5) State the assessment question(s) and/or goals of the assessment activity. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
List of activities: exams, written and oral assignments and presentations, teaching evaluations (CAFE).
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered.
See the above.
7) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected?
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
8) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence?
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
9) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated.
If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
10) Summarize the actual results.
As reflected in the CSS External Review conducted in Sp 09, WS has accomplished much in terms of students prorgress and graduation since its start as a BA granting program. The results of the review are available at CSS and VCAA.
11) How did your program use the results? --or-- Explain planned use of results.
Please be specific.
As the program has been through various forms of evaluations in the past several years and streamlined the course offerings, WS undergraduate certificate program is now running smoothly, with more students interested in pursuing this option than previous years. With fiscal retrenchment and a retirement of one faculty, the challenge now is how to expand the program with limited resources.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries? This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
13) Other important information: