Program: Philosophy (MA)
Date: Thu Oct 14, 2010 - 2:18:35 pm
1) Below are the program student learning outcomes submitted last year. Please add/delete/modify as needed.
1. Proficiency in at least one philosophically significant language other than English.
2. Students are able to conduct philosophical research which leads either to a thesis or a significant portfolio of shorter works.
3. Students demonstrate the ability to write and prepare presentations at a high level of proficiency.
*Given recent changes in the MA there is no way to reflect other possible outcomes within the allocated numbers of characters.
2) As of last year, your program's SLOs were published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Below is the link to your program's curriculum map (if submitted in 2009). If it has changed or if we do not have your program's curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
4) The percentage of courses in 2009 that had course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is indicated below. Please update as needed.
5) State the assessment question(s) and/or goals of the assessment activity. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
All students either go through an MA culminating exam or write and defend a thesis.
Data collected where possible on what students go on to do after completing the MA.
Graduate Student Association gives feedback on the program.
Once a year the whole Department conducts a graduate student progress evaluation meeting.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered.
An appropriately selected faculty committee from the Department--4 members.
7) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected?
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
8) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence?
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
9) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated.
If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
Result of culminating exams are discussed by the whole Department.
MA structure has recently been modified in response to student feedback.
10) Summarize the actual results.
11) How did your program use the results? --or-- Explain planned use of results.
Please be specific.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries? This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
13) Other important information:
We expect to develop curriculum maps for the MA & PhD programs as we have for the undergraduate program.