Program: Linguistics (PhD)
Date: Mon Oct 11, 2010 - 12:04:59 pm
1) Below are the program student learning outcomes submitted last year. Please add/delete/modify as needed.
The primary objective of the Ph.D. program is to provide full professional training for those seeking careers in research. Our program goals are therefore to provide training in the relevant areas in the discipline and to cultivate research skills.
2) As of last year, your program's SLOs were published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online: www.ling.hawaii.edu/graduate/pdfs/PhDmanual.pdf
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Below is the link to your program's curriculum map (if submitted in 2009). If it has changed or if we do not have your program's curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
- File (03/16/2020)
4) The percentage of courses in 2009 that had course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is indicated below. Please update as needed.
5) State the assessment question(s) and/or goals of the assessment activity. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
Yearly faculty-wide assessment is performed, whereby each students grades, performance in class, and performance on research activity is evaluated. The goals are to provide faculty with a fully-informed view of the students' progress, as well as to provide students with individualized feedback on their performance and progress through the degree.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered.
Both numerical ranks (1-9) and short answers were gathered.
7) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected?
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
8) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence?
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
9) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated.
If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
10) Summarize the actual results.
Each student was evaluated, and each student was sent a letter summarizing this evaluation. All students that were within the expected norm for progress through the degree were informed so, and those that were delayed were informed so. Overall, progress has improved over the last few years, and relatively few students fall outside the norm.
11) How did your program use the results? --or-- Explain planned use of results.
Please be specific.
Letter to students were sent out.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries? This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
13) Other important information: