Program: Zoology (BA, BS)
Date: Tue Sep 28, 2010 - 11:27:15 am
1) Below are the program student learning outcomes submitted last year. Please add/delete/modify as needed.
Student Learning Outcomes
Assessment Data-Collection Method
1. Students will be able to apply a scientific process.
Check students’ laboratory notebooks.
Observe students as they perform a laboratory practical on a specific technique
2. Students will be able to communicate about biological science.
Review students’ written laboratory reports, research proposals, and poster boards.
Evaluate students’ oral presentations in various courses
3. Students will be able to recall foundational biological information necessary for entering post-baccalaureate school or entering a career in the biological sciences.
Students’ answers on exams that are similar to the standardized tests.
Obtain students’ results on different standardized tests.
Senior capstone experience
2) As of last year, your program's SLOs were published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Below is the link to your program's curriculum map (if submitted in 2009). If it has changed or if we do not have your program's curriculum map, please upload it as a PDF.
- File (03/16/2020)
4) The percentage of courses in 2009 that had course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is indicated below. Please update as needed.
5) State the assessment question(s) and/or goals of the assessment activity. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
We have assessed students based on all program's SLOs of 1) students being able to apply the scientific process, 2) students being able to communicate about the biological science, and 3) students being able to recall foundational biological information.
We wanted to find out if students can write laboratory reports, scientific essays, recall and retain foundational biological information, and do scientific protocols in the laboratories in a practical settings.
6) State the type(s) of evidence gathered.
We collected test results as well as laboratory notebooks/reports, and having practical exams in the laboratory of their techniques.
7) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected?
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
8) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence?
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
9) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated.
If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
10) Summarize the actual results.
11) How did your program use the results? --or-- Explain planned use of results.
Please be specific.
12) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries? This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.