Program: East Asian Lang & Lit: Chinese (PhD)
Date: Fri Oct 26, 2018 - 4:57:29 pm
1) Program Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) and Institutional Learning Objectives (ILOs)
1. Chinese Literature: Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of the history of Chinese literature and the relevant scholarship in the field of Chinese Literary Studies.
2. Chinese Literature: Be able to competently use and analyze sources written in Classical, early vernacular, and modern Mandarin, as well as evaluate them from an informed theoretical perspective.
3. Chinese Literature: Develop their field of scholarly expertise in the area of their concentration and be able to situate themselves within the critical field of Chinese Literary Studies.
4. Chinese Literature: Develop their own analytical and critical skills so as to be able to apply them to close textual readings of primary as well as secondary sources.
5. Chinese Literature: Be familiar with and able to use competently Chinese as well as Western theoretical literature, both modern and pre-modern.
6. Chinese Literature: Develop an interdisciplinary and cultural approach to the reading and teaching of literary texts.
7. Chinese Literature: Produce an original contribution to the scholarly discourse in their area of specialization.
8. Chinese Literature: Be able to handle professionally a conference talk or job interview.
9. Chinese Language and Linguistics: Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge about the field, especially in areas of their expertise and its connection of related areas of research
10. Chinese Language and Linguistics: Evaluate the purposes, approaches, designs, and analyses of published research in areas of their expertise
11. Chinese Language and Linguistics: Produce scholarly work at the level of quality adequate for publication
12. Chinese Language and Linguistics: Establish membership in their field and develop their presence in that discipline
13. Chinese Language and Linguistics: Design and teach graduate-level courses in the areas of their specialization
14. Chinese Language and Linguistics: Handle a professional job interview and job talk
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update asneeded.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Please review, add, replace, or delete the existing curriculum map.
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Does the program have learning achievement results for its program SLOs? (Example of achievement results: "80% of students met expectations on SLO 1.")(check one):
Yes, on some(1-50%) of the program SLOs
Yes, on most(51-99%) of the program SLOs
Yes, on all(100%) of the program SLOs
6) Did your program engage in any program learning assessment activities between June 1, 2015 and October 31, 2018?
No (skip to question 17)
7) What best describes the program-level learning assessment activities that took place for the period June 1, 2015 to October 31, 2018? (Check all that apply.)
8) Briefly explain the assessment activities that took place.
9) What types of evidence did the program use as part of the assessment activities checked in question 7? (Check all that apply.)
10) State the number of students (or persons) who submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
11) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
12) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
13) Summarize the results of the assessment activities checked in question 7. For example, report the percentage of students who achieved each SLO.
14) What best describes how the program used the results? (Check all that apply.)
15) Please briefly describe how the program used the results.
16) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries? This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, and great achievements regarding program assessment in this reporting period.
17) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please justify.
From 8/2016 - 8/2018, the then Department Chair (who is NOT from the CHN Section) has been serving as the CHN Section Head. Secondly, the EALL department has been engaged in major revisions of unifying the MA and Ph.D. requirements (15 program tracks) and procedures, which have just been finalized.