Program: Botany (BA, BS)
Date: Fri Oct 17, 2014 - 10:35:17 am
1) Institutional Learning Objectives (ILOs) and Program Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
1. Students can recall details and information about the evolution, anatomy, morphology, systematics, genetics, physiology, ecology, and conservation of plants, algae, and fungi.
(1b. Specialized study in an academic field, 3c. Stewardship of the natural environment)
2. Students can recall details of the unique ecological and evolutionary features of the Hawaiian flora.
(1b. Specialized study in an academic field, 1c. Understand Hawaiian culture and history)
3. Students can communicate effectively using oral and written communication skills.
(1a. General education, 2c. Communicate and report)
4. Students can generate and test hypotheses, make observations, collect data,analyze and interpret results, derive conclusions, and evaluate their significance within a broad scientific context.
(1b. Specialized study in an academic field, 2a. Think critically and creatively, 2b. Conduct research, 2c. Communicate and report)
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Select one option:
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
The department revised SLOs and the Curriculum Map. We have developed draft rubrics for all SLOs. The faculty developed a pre- and post-test for SLOs 1 and 2.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
We have not yet collected evidence but will start this semester, Fall 2014.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)