Program: East Asian Lang & Lit: Korean (PhD)
Date: Thu Oct 09, 2014 - 8:50:48 pm
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
[Ph.D. in Korean Language and Linguistics]
1. Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge about the field, especially in areas of their expertise and its connection of related areas of research
2. Evaluate the purposes, approaches, designs, and analyses of published research in areas of their expertise
3. Produce scholarly work at the level of quality adequate for publication
4. Establish membership in their field and develop their presence in that discipline
5. Design and teach graduate-level courses in the areas of their specialization
6. Handle a job interview and job talk
[Ph.D. in Korean Literature]
[In addition to the M. A. SLOs,] recipients of the Ph.D. in Korean literature should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of current secondary literature in the field by critically engaging the arguments of major scholars.
2. Produce a significant and original contribution to current scholarly discourse in his/her area of specialization.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: http://www.hawaii.edu/eall/kor/courses.html
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
All SLOs were targeted.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
We will develop strategies for improving the response rate of the exit survey.