Program: Philosophy (MA)
Date: Thu Oct 09, 2014 - 1:22:15 pm
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
1. Proficiency in at least one philosophically significant language other than English.
2. Students are able to conduct philosophical research which leads either to a thesis or a significant portfolio of shorter works.
3. Students demonstrate the ability to write and prepare presentations at a high level of proficiency.
*Given recent changes in the MA there is no way to reflect other possible outcomes within the allocated numbers of characters.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online: syllabi
3) Select one option:
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
We do an assessment of all graduate students every February.
We also analysed the size of our graduate program relative to the faculty and financial resources available to support it.
We discussed stategies that could be employed to increase the pace at which students complete their degree programs.
We also discussed the implementation of a 3+2 program with premier Chinese universities, and how this would probably impact our current program.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
Summaries of program progress of individual students.
Summaries of faculty comparative evaluations of students they had experience with.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
We're doing fine. But we need more faculty.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
A 3+2 exchange program is being initiated this coming year.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.
Nothing to report.