Program: Zoology (MS, PhD)
Degree: Master's & Doctorate
Date: Mon Oct 06, 2014 - 9:48:14 am
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
The SLOs for M.S./Ph.D.degrees in Zoology are identical. The general objective is to produce outstanding research scientists who are capable of independent thought, development of experimental design and have the ability to conduct their own research to completion.
Assessment of their abilities in these areas is tested through:
a) the writing of a research proposal, which is evaluated and approved by the student's research dissertation committee
b) completion of the proposed research (in consultation with the major research professor)
c) presentation of the completed research in an open forum seminar with question/answer session
d) publication of research data/findings in top quality scientific journals
Placement of the M.S./Ph.D. graduates is also important and we actively track their professional progress.
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Select one option:
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.
The program has not performed any assessment for the Graduate program because the Department of Biology focused on the undergraduate programs. This year we will be revisiting the graduate program's SLOs and curriculum map.