Program: Business Administration (MBA)
Date: Thu Sep 11, 2014 - 5:05:28 pm
1) Below are your program's student learning outcomes (SLOs). Please update as needed.
Assurance of Learning Goals Master of Business Administration Shidler College of Business University of Hawaii Manoa 1. Demonstrate and apply knowledge of the functional areas of business. Objectives: 1. Students align functional action plans with organizational strategic intents and vision. [Assessed in BUS 632] 2. Students will design complementary functional action plans, organizational structure, and functional control systems with measures [Assessed in BUS 632] 3. Students will be able to conduct quantitative analysis of data. [Assessed in BUS 621] 2. Communicate effectively orally and in writing Objectives: 1. Students will speak effectively Assessed in [BUS 696] 2. Students will write an effective report [Assessed in BUS 632] 3. Understand and apply management skills to the Asia-Pacific business environment Objectives: 1. Students will describe the economics that characterize global business [Assessed in BUS 627] 2. Students will demonstrate knowledge of the Asia-Pacific region [Assessed in BUS 627] 3. Students will describe how national cultures influence business practices and relationships [Assessed in BUS 627] 4. Identify and analyze complex ethical and legal issues. Objectives: 1. Students will be able to analyze ethical issues to a business situation [Assessed in BUS628] 2. Understand the boundaries and overlaps between ethics and law [Assessed in BUS628] 5. Demonstrate understanding of the impacts of information technology on business Objectives: 1. Students will explain information technology usage across different business processes and functions [Assessed in BUS 630] 2. Students will be able to evaluate the feasibility of applying information technology in business [Assessed in BUS 630]
2) Your program's SLOs are published as follows. Please update as needed.
Student Handbook. URL, if available online:
Information Sheet, Flyer, or Brochure URL, if available online:
UHM Catalog. Page Number:
Course Syllabi. URL, if available online:
3) Select one option:
- File (03/16/2020)
4) For your program, the percentage of courses that have course SLOs explicitly stated on the syllabus, a website, or other publicly available document is as follows. Please update as needed.
5) Did your program engage in any program assessment activities between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014? (e.g., establishing/revising outcomes, aligning the curriculum to outcomes, collecting evidence, interpreting evidence, using results, revising the assessment plan, creating surveys or tests, etc.)
No (skip to question 14)
6) For the period between June 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014: State the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goals. Include the SLOs that were targeted, if applicable.
MBA Learning Goal #1: Demonstrate and apply knowledge of the functional areas of business (best business practice)
MBA Learning Goal #2: Communicate effectively in writing and oral presentations
MBA Learning Goal #3: Understand and apply management skills to the Asia-Pacific business environment
MBA Learning Goal #4: Identify and analyze complex ethical and legal issues.
MBA Learning Goal #5: Demonstrate understanding of the impacts of technology on business
7) State the type(s) of evidence gathered to answer the assessment question and/or meet the assessment goals that were given in Question #6.
51 students were evaluated in 5 courses by their instructors as to whether or not learning goals were achieved. This covered 29 traits that demonstrate the learning objectives
8) State how many persons submitted evidence that was evaluated. If applicable, please include the sampling technique used.
6 instructors randomly picked 51 students.
9) Who interpreted or analyzed the evidence that was collected? (Check all that apply.)
Ad hoc faculty group
Persons or organization outside the university
Advisors (in student support services)
Students (graduate or undergraduate)
10) How did they evaluate, analyze, or interpret the evidence? (Check all that apply.)
Used professional judgment (no rubric or scoring guide used)
Compiled survey results
Used qualitative methods on interview, focus group, open-ended response data
External organization/person analyzed data (e.g., external organization administered and scored the nursing licensing exam)
11) For the assessment question(s) and/or assessment goal(s) stated in Question #6:
Summarize the actual results.
90% of students met the SLO's. Few exceeded them. The areas that were weakest were in the ability to clearly present complex material and to create supporting arguments for a position. In these areas, most met goals, but few exceeded them.
Presentation skills in generally were the highest scored categories with over 50% exceeding goals
12) State how the program used the results or plans to use the results. Please be specific.
The results of this will be shared with the faculty committee and they will present it at departmental meetings. It indicates that we need to build up more indirect methods and work has been started on an employer survey to understand how we are serving market needs. We will ask the department to look at course content changes to support increased skills in construction of a supporting argument.
13) Beyond the results, were there additional conclusions or discoveries?
This can include insights about assessment procedures, teaching and learning, program aspects and so on.
answered primarily in question 12.
14) If the program did not engage in assessment activities, please explain.
Or, if the program did engage in assessment activities, please add any other important information here.