Asian Studies Affiliate Faculty
Vinod AGGARWAL, Ph.D.
(Stanford, Political Science), Distinguished Professor and Alan P. Bedford Chair in Asian Studies, Political Science; Director, Berkeley APEC Study Center, Affiliated Professor, Haas School of Business.
Chizuko ALLEN, Ph.D.
(UHM, History), Fellowship Coordinator. General Area: East Asia. Special Area/Expertise: Korea, Japan.
Federico V. MAGDALENA, Ph.D.
(UHM, Sociology), Faculty Specialist. General Area: Southeast Asia. Special Area/Expertise: Philippines (Mindanao), Islam, Conflict.
Cynthia NING, Ph.D.
(Michigan, Literature/Linguistics), Associate Director, Center for Chinese Studies. General Area: East Asia. Special Area/Expertise: China.
Gay SATSUMA, Ph.D.
(UHM, Japanese History), Associate Director, Center for Japanese Studies. Special Area/Expertise: Japan.
Tae-Ung BAIK, Ph.D
(Notre Dame, Law), Director, Center for Korean Studies, and Professor of Law. International criminal law; human rights in Asia; criminal procedure; Korean law.
Miriam STARK, Ph.D.
(Arizona, Archaeology), Professor. Director, Center for Southeast Asian Studies. Special Area/Expertise: Field-based Research, Anthropology and Archaeology.
Collaborating Graduate Faculty
Collaborating Graduate Faculty are faculty in other departments who teach Asia-related classes and are available to serve on MA committees for Asian Studies students.
A - B
- AGCAOILI, Aurelio S. (Ilokano Language and Literature)
- ALBERTINI, Tamara (Philosophy, Islam)
- ANDAYA, Leonard Y. (History, Southeast Asia, Indonesia
- ARBOLEDA, Pia (Filipino Language and Literature)
- BAE, Christopher (Anthropology, Biological and Paleoanthropology)
- BARONI, Helen J. (Religion, Japanese and American Zen Buddhism)
- BHATAWADEKAR, Sai (Indo-Pacific Languages and Literatures, Hindi, Philosophy, Dance)
- BLUST, Robert (Linguistics, Historical Linguistics, Austronesian Linguistics)
- BOOTH, Charles D. (William S. Richardson School of Law, Asian Law)
- BROWN, Ronald C. (William S. Richardson School of Law, Comparative Chinese and US Law)
- BROWN Shana J. (History, China, visual culture, women)
- BRUNSON, Jan M (Anthropology, Sociocultural and Medical Anthropology, Nepal)
- BUI, Tung X. (Shidler College of Business, Vietnam)
C - H
- CHANG, Rosita Ping-Hwa (Shidler College of Business, Asia-Pacific Financial Markets)
- CHEN, Qimei (Shidler College of Business, Marketing, China, Hong Kong)
- CHENG, Baoyan (College of Education, International Education, China)
- CHENG, Chung Ying (Philosophy, Chinese Philosophy)
- CONNER, Alison (William S. Richardson School of Law, Chinese Law)
- COOK, Haruko M. (East Asian Languages and Literatures, Japanese Language and Linguistics)
- DAS GUPTA, Monisha (Ethnic Studies, Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies, Sociology, Migration & Social Justice, South Asia)
- DAVIS, Edward L. (History, China)
- FLOWERS, Petrice (Political Science, Japan)
- GREANEY, Theresa M. (Economics, Japan, Trade)
- HUANG, Wei (Shidler College of Business, China, Finance)
- HUEY, Robert N. (East Asian Languages and Literatures, Japanese Literature)
I - K
- IEZZI, Julie (Theatre and Dance, Japanese Theatre)
- JIANG, Hong (Geography, Cultural Geography, China)
- JOHNSON, David T. (Sociology, Japan)
- KANNO, Kazue (East Asian Languages and Literatures, Japanese Linguistics)
- KIM, Cheehyung Harrison (History, Korea, North Korea)
- KIM, Karl E. (Urban & Regional Planning, Korea)
- KIM, Min-Sun (Communicology, Intercultural Communication, Korea, Japan)
- KIM, Yung-Hee (East Asian Languages and Literatures, Korean Literature)
- KIMURA, Ehito (Political Science, Southeast Asia)
- KOIKARI, Mire (Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies, Japan, Okinawa, Imperialism)
- KONDO-BROWN, Kimi (Associate Dean of CALL, Heritage Language Learning, Japanese)
- KOZOK, Ulrich (Indo-Pacific Languages and Literatures, Indonesian)
L - O
- LAMB, Ramdas (Religion, India, Hinduism)
- LANZONA, Maria Vina (History, Philippines)
- LEE, Byong Won (Music, Ethnomusicology, Korea)
- LEE, Yean-Ju (Sociology, Korea)
- LEVIN, Mark A. (William S. Richardson School of Law, Japan)
- LINGLEY, Kate (Art & Art History, China, Buddhist Sculpture)
- MCCRAW, David R. (East Asian Languages and Literatures, Chinese Poetry)
- MCGREGOR, Davianna P. (Ethnic Studies, Hawai’i, Sovereignty)
- MCNALLY, Mark T. (History, Japan)
- MOHR, Michel (Religion, Japan, Buddhism)
- ODIN, Steve (Philosophy, Japanese Aesthetics)
- O’GRADY, William (Linguistics, Syntax, Korean)
- O’HARROW, Stephen (Indo-Pacific Languages & Literatures, Vietnamese)
P - T
- PADWE, Jonathan E. (Anthropology, Sociocultural & Environmental Anthropology, Cambodia)
- PARK, Mee-Jeong (East Asian Languages & Literatures, Korean)
- PAUKA, Kirstin (Theatre & Dance, Director, Asian Theatre Program, Indonesia, Japan)
- PETERSON, Christian (Anthropology, Archaeology, China)
- RHEE, S. Ghon (Shidler College of Business, Finance)
- SARASWATI, L. Ayu (Women, Gender, & Sexuality Studies, Indonesia)
- SHAPIRO, Michael J. (Political Science, Indigenous Politics)
- STEINHOFF, Patricia G. (Sociology, Japan)
- SZOSTAK, John D. (Art & Art History, Modern Japanese Art History)
- TOTANI, Yuma (History, Modern Japan)
W - Z
- WAITE, Deborah B. (Art & Art History, Art of the Pacific & Southeast Asia)
- WANG, Wensheng (History, Ming-Qing China)
- WANG, Xiaojun (Economics, China)
- XU, Yiyuan (Psychology, East Asia, Asian America)
- YANG, Myungji (Political Science, Korea)
- YANO, Christine R. (Anthropology, Sociocultural Anthropology, Japan)
- YOSHIMI, Dina R. (East Asian Languages & Literatures, Japanese)
- YUE, Ming-Bao (East Asian Languages & Literatures, Chinese)
- ZHOU, Kate X. (Political Science, China)