Research Excellence - Student Award
March 7, 2014
Candidates must be nominated by their faculty advisor. Awards at different degree levels (bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral) are available. Each award consists of $500. In any given year, the URC may choose not to confer an award at certain degree levels. Click here for a list of past award recipients.
Any full-time student working towards a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree may be nominated. Each student is limited to receiving one award at any given degree level.
- From the faculty advisor: A statement describing and assessing the candidate’s research activities and accomplishments. If the nomination is for a thesis or dissertation research, the statement should also evaluate the impact of the research on the knowledge base of the discipline.
- From the candidate: a) A brief biographical profile indicating academic goals and accomplishments, and b) an expanded abstract or summary (1,000 to 1,500 words) describing the research and its significance.
- Support letters from the candidate’s department chair and at least one other individual familiar with the candidate’s research. All letters need to be sent directly to the URC via email (email@example.com) or in-person at Hawaii Hall 211.
The review committee will consider all of the candidate’s scholarly research activities and accomplishments at UH, up to the time of the candidate’s nomination. In specific, the committee evaluates the following:
- Overall quality of the nomination
- Evidence of the quality, originality and significance of the research
- Strength of the support letters
- Quality of candidate’s expanded abstract
- Quality of candidate’s previous scholastic awards and recognitions
- Quality of candidate’s previous research accomplishments (e.g. paper/poster presentations, journal publications)
Submit all required materials to the URC by the specified deadline via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or in-person at Hawaii Hall 211.