The University Research Council (URC) of the University of Hawai‘i performs the following functions:
- awarding of intramurally financed research grants,
- allocation of funds provided by external agencies,
- allocation of funds for travel to professional meetings,
- establishment of policies on the use of various institutional grants,
- advising the university administration on policies that govern all aspects of research at the university.
Co-chaired by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education and the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Research Relations, the URC consists of 18 appointed committee members. Council members represent the various campuses of the UH system and serve for a term of three years.