Funding is available for UH Mānoa undergraduate students or student groups who propose to present an ongoing or completed research or creative work. In a nutshell, if you have been accepted to present at a professional conference or perform at a professional venue, UROP can fund part or all of your travel costs to present, including conference registration. We welcome and encourage undergraduate students in all fields of study to prepare and submit presentation applications.
Prior to applying for presentation funding, carefully review this section. The deadline to apply for presentation funding is monthly at 5 pm on the 1st day of each month. Please contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are seeking Project Funding to conduct research or creative works, please go to Project Funding.
Presentation Funding Eligibility
Students seeking to apply for UROP funding must:
- be enrolled in a first bachelor degree program at UH Mānoa
- plan to graduate from UH Mānoa
- be accepted to present at a conference or other event
- be the presenting author(s) of the work
- submit their applications prior to the presentation
- submit proof of official participation at the conference/event indicated
- be recommended by a tenured/tenure track faculty at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa (including the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM), or the University of Hawai‘i Cancer Center), and/or be classified by the University of Hawaii at Mānoa Graduate Division as Regular or Cooperating Graduate Faculty at any level (1-3)
Funding Cycles and Deadlines
UROP offers monthly presentation application cycles wherein students may apply for funding for research or creative works presentation. Funding must be requested before the presentation takes place. All application materials must be submitted by 5 pm on the first day of each month, even if it is a weekend or holiday. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed and no late submissions are accepted in any circumstances so please plan ahead.
An individual presentation is a presentation undertaken by one person whereas a group presentation consists of two or more members. Students may apply for travel funds to cover or supplement the costs of attending a specific professional conference or event where they will present their research or creative works. Funds are available of up to $2,000 per individual and up to $4,000 per group of two or up to $5,000 for a group of more than two. Group member changes after application submission are not allowed, and changes in the make-up of a group may result in disqualification from application review or withdrawal of UROP funding.
Students may request for presentation-related expenses (airfare, lodging, M&IE, supplies/materials, etc.) for a research or creative works presentation.
After notification, recipients must sign and submit a Memorandum of Agreement and meet ethical standards, if necessary, in order to receive funds. Funding recipients will receive funds through their MyUH tuition account.
Applications are paperless and all materials are due by the deadline. Submission of an application form automatically generates an email receipt to the applicant; however, this does not necessarily mean that all requirements have been met for review by the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Council (UROC), only that the application form was submitted and received. Applications that meet all requirements by the deadline are processed and reviewed by UROC. Students will be notified of the decision via email after UROC has made a decision, typically by the 4th of the following month.
● Utilize the Presentation Rubric as a guideline for how complete applications will be evaluated
● Travel must take place in a semester of enrollment (of at least one credit)
● If funded, receipts must be saved to show that funding was spent according to approved budget. No receipt required for M&IE funding, please see requirements for Receipt Report for Presentation Completion