The Peace Corps’ mission is to promote world peace and friendship through three goals:
1. helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
2. helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served
3. helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans
Since 1961, over 1,300 Hawaii residents have served in the Peace Corps. University of Hawaii at Manoa students have continued this tradition by putting their education and experience to work in the areas of:
- Youth & Community Development
- Business & Information Communication Technology
There are currently 22 University of Hawaii at Manoa alumni serving in the Peace Corps.