Adding sections is done through the SOC1 form and is indicated with an “A” in the last column (18). Listed is our procedure and requirements when creating a section.
- The course must already exist in catalog.
- Thesis/Dissertation and Directed Studies courses can be made over the phone.
- If a section exists (6) with the same number, the added course is given the next available consecutive number.
- Schedule types automatically come from catalog. This field is primarily used to specify hybrid or lab type sections.
- An add without a section max is set to zero.
- When the building (15) and room (16) fields are blank, our office will look for a general classrooms space for the given day and times. If you’re unsure about an available time, or requesting a specific general classroom, call our office. We will do a search and put a room on hold for your section.
- An instructors id or username can be given for column 16.
- Provide the instructors name so we can verify that the given id is correct. It is assumed the given name is the intended instructor if it does not match with the id.
- New instructors that do not have student records may not exist in Banner. Please call our office with their personal information.
Multiple Meeting Times
To specify multiple meeting times for one course, list the order in the Mtg. Line column (14) . The meeting lines will be listed and sorted on Class Availability by line 1.
A crosslisted section is one class that is offered under two different departments. Concurrent sections are multiple sections within the same department that are taught together in the same place.
- The lead subject in a crosslisting should inform the other department of the added course.
- All involved departments must turn in an SOC with an add.