The mission of the Student-Athlete Academic Services’ (SAAS) Writing Center is to produce more confident, effective writers and communicators for academic, professional, and personal pursuits. We develop and improve skills for academic success by emphasizing clear and concise writing. We provide a collaborative, supportive environment for one-on-one tutorial sessions to converse with students regarding any part of the writing process.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop written communication skills
- Develop critical and creative thinking skills
- Identify strengths and areas for improvement as a writer
- Develop strategies to effectively navigate the writing process
- An understanding of appropriate writing conventions (MLA, APA, etc.)
- An increased confidence in one’s own writing ability
- Develop reading comprehension
- An increased awareness of resources and services available at UHM
- An ability to conduct scholarly research
The Writing Center is located in the Nagatani Academic Center, in room 016Q.
If you would like to schedule a visit to the Writing Center, appointments can be scheduled by logging in with your student information at hawaii.gradesfirst.com and selecting “Get Writing Tutoring” on your main user page. The Writing Center is available for walk-in appointments as well.
If you have any questions about SAAS’ Writing Center, please contact Justin Clapp.
Writing Center Coordinator
Student-Athlete Academic Services
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa