An academic résumé should be used to show such things as your education, most relevant experiences, volunteer work, and awards.
Remember, it is never too early to start on your academic résumé , even if you are just beginning university! An academic résumé is something that should be begun early and added to throughout your academic career. At PAC, we recommend that you begin crafting a concise, well-formatted résumé as early as possible using the recommended guidelines below.
- Be brief, but make sure to provide enough explanation about your different experiences, awards, etc. for the admissions committee.
- Be consistent. Make sure your formatting is the same from section to section.
- Be sure only post-high school information is included unless ongoing.
- Use backward chronological format.
- Include clear headers and check the alignment of your dates.
- Do not include a headshot.
- Use a standard black font.
- If you are a non-traditional student or have been out of school for a while, fee free to place the “Education” section after “Experience”.
Formatting a résumé can be difficult, below we have created a guideline with each section explained and some examples provided. Remember, your actual résumé should only be in black and white!