Overview of Services
The Pre-Health/Pre-Law Advising Center (PAC) is a walk-in resource center for students interested in law, medicine, or the health sciences (dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant, occupational therapy, physical therapy, veterinary medicine, etc.).
- One-on-one Advising (in-person, online, or phone)
- Mandatory Advising
- Assistance in Choosing a Major
- Academic Planning
- Workshops and Orientations
- Engagement Opportunities
- Lending and Reference Library (including Test Prep Materials)
- And More!
Our mission is to guide students in discovering their paths in life and in transforming their professional dreams into reality.
PAC operates within the following values:
- Health and law professions are open to everyone with the desire, aptitude, and motivation to pursue them.
- Career choice is one of the most important decisions one can make in life and often defines one’s niche in society; it is critical that students choose carefully and wisely.
- Students choose their own paths and make their own decisions.
- To make good decisions, students need accurate, up-to-date, and unbiased information.
- When making decisions, students benefit from sympathetic but honest guidance and from being able to discuss their options with nonjudgmental peers.
PAC students are able to . . .
- Describe the “Eight Steps to Professional School” and what they need to do for each.
- List engagement opportunities available at UHM.
- Create an accurate academic plan that includes the
- application timeline,
- prerequisite courses,
- career-related activities,
- general education requirements,
- major requirements, and
- minimum credit requirements.
- Create a curriculum vitae/résumé.
- Use appropriate resources to research and accomplish the Eight Steps.
- Engage in self-evaluation in light of career goals.