Overview of Services
The Pre-Health/Pre-Law Advising Center (PAC) is a walk-in resource center for students interested in law, medicine, or the health sciences (dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant, occupational therapy, physical therapy, veterinary medicine, etc.).
- One-on-one Advising (in-person, online, or phone)
- Mandatory Advising
- Assistance in Choosing a Major
- Academic Planning
- Workshops and Orientations
- Engagement Opportunities
- Lending and Reference Library (including Test Prep Materials)
- And More!
The mission of the Pre-Health/Pre-Law Advising Center (PAC) is to help advisees who are interested in becoming competitive applicants for health professional and law schools by providing relevant, accurate, and helpful information and opportunities that help them make informed decisions about their academic, professional, and personal aspirations.
PAC operates within the following values:
- Health and law professions are open to everyone with the desire, aptitude, and motivation to pursue them.
- Career choice is one of the most important decisions one can make in life; it is critical that students choose carefully and wisely.
- Students choose their own paths and make their own decisions.
- To make good decisions, students need accurate, up-to-date, and unbiased information.
- When making decisions, students benefit from sympathetic but honest guidance and from being able to discuss their options with nonjudgmental peers.
To achieve our mission, we must strive to do the following:
- Provide online and physical information and resources that provide advisees with accurate and relevant information.
- Engage with advisees through individual advising, workshops, and events.
- Outreach to advisees through communication and events.
- Help address common issues advisees face.
- Provide various options and opportunities for students to develop professionally and personally and to achieve their professional goals.
- Train peer advisors so they can provide accurate and current information in a way that is understandable for advisees.
- Help peer advisors grow professionally through various ways and opportunities.
- Collaborate with organizations within and outside of the UHM campus that would benefit our students.
PAC strives to ensure that advisees know about…
- How to self-evaluate to ensure that they are making the best decisions for themselves.
- The prerequisites for their chosen professional school.
- How to create an academic plan to be able to apply to their chosen professional school.
- The types of engagement needed to be competitive for their chosen professional school.
- Various opportunities available to engage outside of the classroom.
- Their chosen professional school’s entrance exam requirement.
- The application process for their chosen professional school.
- How to be a competitive applicant for their chosen professional school.