Whenever possible, we highly recommend students make in-person appointments because this is the most efficient mode of advising. However, students may request phone advising if they have circumstances that prevent them from being able to meet in-person.
Please note the following guidelines regarding phone appointments:
1. Appointments are a maximum of 30 minutes
2. Your advisor will call you for the appointment. Please do not call our office.
3. Following your appointment, please complete an evaluation of your session (available here).
- Scheduling a Phone Appointment
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org from your hawaii.edu email account explaining why you are not able to come in-person and need a phone appointment. Also include:
- A Student ID number
- Intended major
- Phone number (including area code) that you wish to be contacted at
- Availability for the appointment date and time over the next week.
*Appointments are scheduled according to Hawai’i Standard Time, shown on the top right of this page.
Please keep in mind the time difference from your location.
- Specific questions or topics you would like to discuss.
2. Your advisor will reply with a tentative appointment time.
3. Confirm your appointment time.
- Preparing for Your Appointment
To maximize your appointment, it is important to be prepared. If you are not prepared with any of the following, your appointment may be cancelled:
1. Be available and near your phone 5 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment.
2. Have a computer with Internet access ready with the following websites up:
- STAR online degree check (please be logged in)
3. Have your student ID number ready for verification purposes.
4. Have any necessary forms in front of you and questions to be discussed.