Are you studying a lot and still not getting the grade you want?
- Earning the grade you want includes understanding how you learn, reading for comprehension and retention, taking functional lecture notes, using time effectively and taking tests well. Moreover, different courses require different strategies and skills. The more you understand about the courses you're taking and their requirements, the better equipped you are to succeed.
- LearnAbility sessions are workshops designed to assist students with adjusting to the college academic environment. This environment often means studying with different approaches to fit a particular course. The more you understand which study strategies work best for you and is best suited for the course, the more likely you are to achieve at desired levels.
- To schedule a LearnAbility session or for more information email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reading in College
Are you reading and finding that you can't understand or remember the material? You can learn to increase your understanding and retention of required reading in college.
Taking, or more accurately, making good notes is very useful in the learning process. You can learn to take and make good notes that work for you!
Are you running out of time too often? You can learn to plan, organize, and use your time without bothersome procrastination!
Are you taking tests hoping that luck will be on your side? You can learn to approach the test-taking situation with a confidence based on sufficient preparation and an understanding of the content that will facilitate critical thinking and support problem solving!
Present with Confidence
Are you nervous about oral presentation? You can learn strategies that make presentations more effective, ranging from understanding your audience to speaking clearly!
Adjusting to Academia
Do you wonder how to access the campus resources that are best suited for you? You can get information on knowing your advisor, emailing your professor, and seeking assistance from university services!
Not sure what to do first? Make smart goals a part of your game plan!
Printable Resources (.pdf)
- How to Mark Your Textbook
- Identifying Organizational Patterns
- Learning Suggestions
- Lecture Notes Self-Check
- Listening and Notetaking
- Listening Evaluation
- Main Ideas and Supporting Details
- Notetaking Formats
- Patterns of Thinking and Organization
- SQ4R Method of Study
- Study Skills Suggestions
- Anatomical Word Roots
- Time Management
- Where are You Now?
- Learning Style Inventory
- PLRS Learning Cycle
- Six Steps for Developing Good Time Management Habits
- Systematic Approach to Time Management
- Time Management Awareness Inventory
- How to Prepare a Monthly and Weekly Schedule
- How to Prepare a Pre-Exam Schedule
- Blank Weekly Pre-Exam Schedule
- Sample Weekly Pre-Exam Schedule
- Blank Periodic Pre-Exam Schedule
- Sample Periodic Pre-Exam Schedule
- Sample Monthly Schedule
- Sample Weekly Schedule