Since my childhood, I have always known I wanted to be a scientist to discover something that would help others. In order fulfill my dream, during the first week at University for my B.S. in Biological Sciences, I knocked on every single research lab door, asking if they needed a volunteer. This led me to work for the Laboratory of Experimental Pathophysiology, where I did undergraduate research and had the opportunity to conduct experiments for countless projects. That was also where I developed my passion for human related diseases.
Being from Brazil, a country greatly affected by tropical diseases, I believe this graduate program is perfect for me. I also started working at JABSOM as a volunteer for Dr. Mukesh Kumar, assisting arbovirus-related research, including virus preparation, cell culture, molecular and biochemical essays. In addition to in-vivo mouse work. Shortly after that, Dr. Kumar received a grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke/National Institute of Health and offered to serve as my academic advisor. I got accepted into the master’s program (Spring 2017) and we have been working towards the development of novel therapeutic interventions for the clinical management of mosquito-borne viruses like Zika Virus, West Nile Virus and Japanese Encephalitis Virus.
University of Southern Santa Catarina, Brazil, 2013, B.S. – Biological Sciences
University of Hawai’i at Manoa, January 2017 to present, M.S. Candidate – Tropical Medicine
Interests and Hobbies:
I have a passion for helping others. I volunteered at a public day care for low income families in Brazil, I serve at church and help friends with their non-profit that helps homeless people in our community. In addition to that, I would love to use the knowledge obtained from this program to serve both locally and internationally, raising awareness about tropical diseases and doing outreaches in general.
As most of Hawaii residents, my favorite thing to do during my time off is to go to the beach, go on hikes and explore the island in general.
- Kumar M., Krause K, Azouz F, Nakano E, Nerurkar VR. A guinea pig model of Zika virus infection. Virology Journal,14:75, 2017
- Danielski LG, Walczewski E, de Jesus CR, Florentino D, Giustina AD, Goldim MP, Kanis LA, Pereira GW, Pereira VD, Felisberto F, Petronilho F. Preoperative Vitamin C Supplementation Improves Colorectal Anastomotic Healing and Biochemical Parameters in Malnourished Rats. Int J Colorectal Dis., V. 11, P. 1766, 2016.
- Schuck PF, Milanez AP, Felisberto F, Galant LS, Machado JL, Furlanetto CB, Petronilho F, Dal-Pizzol F, Streck EL, Ferreira GC. Brain and Muscle Redox Imbalance Elicited by Acute Ethylmalonic Acid Administration. PloS One, V. 10, P. E0126606, 2015.
- Schuck PF, Alves L, Pettenuzzo LF, Felisberto F, Rodrigues LB, Freitas BW, Petronilho F, Dal-Pizzol F, Streck EL, Ferreira GC. Acute Renal Failure Potentiates Methylmalonate-Induced Oxidative Stress in Brain and Kidney of Rats. Free Radical Research, V. 47, P. 233-240, 2013.
- Bernardi FCB, Felisberto F, Vuolo F, Petronilho F, Souza DR, Luciano TF, De Souza CT, Ritter C, Dal-Pizzol F. Oxidative Damage, Inflammation, And Toll-Like Receptor Pathway Are Increased in Preeclamptic Patients: A Case-Control Study. Oxid Med Cell Longev, V. 2012, P. 1-6, 2012.
- Fraga CM, Tomasi CD, Biff D, Topanotti MFL, Felisberto F, Vuolo F, Petronilho F, Dal-Pizzol F, Ritter, C. Effects of N-Acetylcysteine and Deferoxamine on Plasma Cytokine and Oxidative Damage Parameters in Critically ill Patients with Prolonged Hypotension: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, V. 52, P. 1365-1372, 2012.
- Ceretta LB, Reus GZ, Abelaira HM, Ribeiro KF, Zappellini G, Felisbino FF, Steckert AV, Dal-Pizzol F, Quevedo J. Increased Oxidative Stress and Imbalance in Antioxidant Enzymes in The Brains of Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Rats. Exp Diabetes Res, V. 2012, P. 1-8, 2012.
- Comim CM, Cassol-Jr OJ, Constantino L, Felisberto F, Petronilho F, Rezin GT, Scaini G, Daufenbach JF, Streck EL, Quevedo J, Dal-Pizzol F. Alterations in Inflammatory Mediators, Oxidative Stress Parameters and Energetic Metabolism in the Brain of Sepsis Survivor Rats. Neurochemical Research, V. 36, P. 304-311, 2011.
- Rosa SD, Topanotti MFL, Tomasi CD, Felisberto F, Vuolo F, Petronilho F, Dal Pizzol F, Ritter C. Effect of Red Blood Cell Transfusion on Parameters of Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in Critically ill Patients. Revista Brasileira De Terapia Intensiva, V. 23, P. 30-35, 2011.
- Hohl A, Gullo JS, Silva CC, Bertotti MM, Felisberto, F, Nunes JC, De Souza B, Petronilho F, Soares FM, Prediger RD, Dal-Pizzol F, Linhares MN, Walz R. Plasma Levels of Oxidative Stress Biomarkers and Hospital Mortality in Severe Head Injury: A Multivariate Analysis. J Crit Care. V. 27(5) P. 523.e11-523e19. 2011.
- Cassol-Jr OJ, Comim CM, Silva B, Hermani F, Constantino L, Felisberto F, Petronilho F, Hallak J, Martinis B, Zuardi A, Crippa J, Quevedo J, Dal-Pizzol F. Treatment with Cannabidiol Reverses Oxidative Stress Parameters, Cognitive Impairment and Mortality in Rats Submitted to Sepsis by Cecal Ligation and Puncture. Brain Research, V. 1348, P. 128-138, 2010.
Manuscripts Submitted/In Preparation:
- Krause K, Azouz F, Nerurkar VR, Kumar M. A Review of Animal Models to Study Zika Virus Infection (In Preparation).
Felisberto F, Pereira D, Petronilho F, Vuolo F, Mina F, Pereira HS, Merlini A, Possato JC, Paula MMS, Souza CT, Dal-Pizzol F. Effect of Gold Nanoparticles in an Animal Model of Uveitis. At: VI Health Sciences Research Symposium – Pathophysiology of Inflammation, 2010, Santa Catarina – Brazil.
Felisberto F, Constantino L, Comim CM, Vuolo F, De Souza B, Steckert AV, Petronilho F, Barichello T, Quevedo J, Dal-Pizzol F. Rivastigmine Reverses Damage to Habituation in Sepsis Survivors Rats. At: XXIV Federation of Societies for Experimental Biology Annual Meeting – Fesbe, 2009, Sao Paulo – Brazil
Felisberto F, Petronilho F, De Souza B, Vuolo F, Mina F, Constantino L, Souza CT, Soriano FG, Streck E, Dal-Pizzol F. Antagonist of Gastrin Releasing Peptide Receptor Attenuates the Inflammatory
Response Via Inhibition of Tlr4 in an Animal Model of Sepsis. At: XXIV Federation of Societies for Experimental Biology Annual Meeting– Fesbe, 2009, Sao Paulo – Brazil
Comim C, Cassol Jr, Petronilho F, Felisberto F, Crippa J, Quevedo J, Dal-Pizzol F. Chronic Treatment with Cannabidiol on Cognitive and Oxidative Damage and Mortality in Brains of Sepsis Survivors Rats. At: I Forum on Health Sciences, 2009, Santa Catarina – Brazil
Cassol Jr, Comim C, Petronilho F, Felisberto F, Constantino L, Crippa J, Quevedo J, Dal-Pizzol F. Acute Administration of Cannabidiol on the Oxidative Damage in Brains of Septic Rats. At: I Forum on Health Sciences, 2009, Santa Catarina – Brazil