Prerequisites for admission to the Tropical Medicine MS or PhD program:
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field with:
- 2 y life sciences (including microbiology and cell and molecular biology; immunology highly recommended),
- 1-1/2 y chemistry (including organic),
- 1 y physics,
- 1 y mathematics (including calculus)
Submit a Graduate Admissions Application to the Office of Graduate Education (Graduate Division).
- You may apply on-line or with a paper application (See How to Apply).
- International graduate students should also refer to International Students Guidelines.
Official documents to be sent to the Office of Graduate Education:
- All previous college transcripts
- Standardized exam scores:
- General GRE exam (Indicate code: 0299, Biological Sciences-other to forward scores
- GRE biology or biochemistry subject test
- TOEFL scores for international students (minimum scores = 580/237/92)
Submission of supporting application materials:
Students who submit applications online may use the Graduate Application Supplemental Documents Upload Website https://documentupload.manoa.hawaii.edu/upload/#/login to submit supporting application materials:
- Statement of Objectives form
- Two letters of recommendation
- A CV or resume
- Unofficial test scores
- Unofficial transcripts
If applying for the Fall Semester applications must be received by January 15 of the same year.
Spring Semester applicants must submit their documents by September 1 of the previous year.
For more information on the Tropical Medicine graduate program contact:
Sandra Chang PhD, Graduate Chair
Department of Tropical Medicine, Medical Microbiology and Pharmacology
John A. Burns School of Medicine
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
651 Ilalo Street, BSB 320
Honolulu, Hawai‘i 96813-5525
Telephone: (808) 692-1617 Fax: (808) 692-1979