The UHM Sustainability Council met from 3-4pm on Wednesday, November 20. Discussion topics included:
* The Go Carbon Neutral project has rescheduled their “Plant 10,000 Trees In One Day (actually, 3 hours)” event for December 7, from 2 – 5pm, at Gunstock Ranch in Kahuku. They need lots and lots of volunteers. For more information about this amazing event, see http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/mora/CarbonNeutrality/flier.pdf.
* If you’re interested in composting, you may wish to attend a presentation by the PBR and 30.1 consultant teams on the UHM Organics Recovery Feasibility Study on Thursday, 11/21 from 8:30 – 10 am at the C-More Hale Moore/Kaneshiro Conference Center on the ground floor opposite their main entry at the Biomedical Sciences Building. Please contact Sharon Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
* Hannah Emery from the UH Office of Sustainability will be leading the effort for the 2020 Earth Day. It’s scheduled for Wednesday, April 22, and she is hoping to build a working group by the end of the semester. A very lively and entertaining brainstorming session ensued. If Hannah can pull of 10% of the ideas we came up with, Earth Day 2020 will be a smashing success. If you want to get involved, and we know you do, please contact Hannah (email@example.com).
* Gaye Chan has recently completed a new batch of “Seed Sharing Stations” which are available for adoption by libraries, community centers, stores, synagogues, etc. Here’s a link to more information: http://nomoola.com/seeds/ . Feel free to contact Gaye (firstname.lastname@example.org) as well.
* Manoa Dining Services recently received an A+ from PETA for their efforts to promote vegan and vegetarian cooking. Wow! Congratulations! They have various initiatives to promote healthy and sustainable eating including cooking classes. Please contact Donna Ojiri (Donna.Ojiri@sodexo.com) for more information.
We feasted on delicious snacks provided by Manoa Dining Services and enjoyed the cool and rainy November weather. Our next meeting will be in January.