Skip to main content | Skip to main navigation

Taro by Dave Miyamoto





Academic Calendar

Tuition & Fees

Tuition & Fees

Campus Map

U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs


GI Bill® website opens in new window

GI Bill® FAQ opens in new window

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at


VA Staff

Kelli Nakama

Certifying Official
Veterans Affairs
Office of the Registrar
QLC, Room 010


Additional Resources

Direct Deposit: 877-838-2778

Monthly Verification of Attendance: 877-823-2378

WAVE opens in a new window

Work Study: 918-781-7878


Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Review the information below to apply for VA educational benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) at UH Mānoa.

Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs opens in new window for the latest information about the program. Veterans who are currently eligible for another VA education benefit and want to use Post-9/11 benefits must make an irrevocable election to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill rather than their current program. For information about remaining months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, call 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551).

The University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa (UHM) is participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP) for selected programs for the 2014 - 2015 academic year. For more information on eligibility requirements and to apply for the program, please see the UHM Yellow Ribbon Program Application (PDF).

Note: If you are not already a continuing UH Mānoa student, you must apply for admission by the appropriate deadline and be admitted. Visit Apply Now! for admission information.

To apply for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, take the following steps:

  1. Apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill
  2. Provide your Certificate of Eligibility
  3. Course Registration
  4. Tuition & Fees Payment
  5. Basic Allowance for Housing and Book Stipend

Apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill

To apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, visit VONAPP opens in new window, the veteran's online application website. You can also submit the application VA Form 22-1990 (PDF) for veterans or the application VA Form 22-1990e (PDF) for dependents to the VA Regional Office by mail or fax:

VA Regional Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
Fax (918) 781-7863

Note: The Department of Defense (DoD) is now accepting applications for transferability of education benefits (TEB) under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Visit Can I Transfer Benefits To My Dependents opens in new window for general policies. The application VA form 22-1990e should be submitted to the VA after the DoD has approved the request for transferability of benefits.

Return to top

Provide your Certificate of Eligibility

Applicants will receive a response explaining the VA's decision regarding eligibility for the program. The VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility by mail to individuals they have determined are eligible for Chapter 33.

Once you have received a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, provide a copy to the Office of the Registrar.

Note: If you have not yet received a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA but would like to start your benefits, provide a copy of your application VA Form 22-1990 or 22-1990e.

Return to top

Course Registration

All courses used toward VA benefits must be required for your degree program. For information on degree requirements visit Course Registration.

After you have registered for classes, visit Application Process and submit all application materials and veteran enrollment forms to the Office of the Registrar so we can certify your course enrollment to the VA.

Once your course enrollment is reported to the VA, you will receive a confirmation email from the VA to your account stating that your 22-1999 has been electronically received.

Return to top

Tuition & Fees Payment

Tuition and fees are not to exceed the maximum in-state undergraduate tuition and fees at a public institution of higher learning. Visit Maximum In-State Tuition & Fees opens in new window for more information.

Effective Spring 2015, non-resident veterans who were honorably discharged within 3 years of enrollment and are eligible for GI Bill education benefits may be eligible to pay in-state resident tuition. You must complete and submit the Veteran Exemption to Non-Resident Tuition Rate Form, along with your DD-214 and VA Certificate of Eligibility to the Admissions Information Counter, Queen Liliʻuokalani Center for Student Services, room 001 before the semester begins.

For more information on establishing residency in the State of Hawaiʻi for tuition purposes, visit Hawaiʻi Residency Requirements.

You are responsible for your own Tuition & Fees by the payment deadline for your student classification. Once your course registration is certified by the VA Certifying Official, the VA will send payment to the University in approximately six to eight weeks and the UH Mānoa Cashier's Office will process a refund to you. Learn more about signing up for eRefund on your MyUH Portal. Your refund from the VA will be viewable through MyUH. To view your refund, log into MyUH, select "View Charges/Make a Payment," then select "View My Account for Each Term."  If you have questions regarding the status of your tuition and fees payment to the University, contact the VA at 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551).

Note: The University offers you the option of paying your tuition and fees in one payment or through installments using a payment plan. Refer to Payment Plans (PDF) for more information.

Return to top

Basic Allowance for Housing and Book Stipend

For information on Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and annual book stipends, refer to Post-9/11 GI Bill (CH 33) Payment Rates. If you have questions regarding your individual BAH or book stipend payments, contact the VA at 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551).

Return to top