Yuanan (Ron) Lu, PhD
- PhD (Microbiology), University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- MS (Microbiology), Oregon State University
- BS (Marine Biology), Huazhong Agricultural University
Awards & Honors
- 1st Place Award for Faculty Division of the Biological Sciences Symposium, University of Hawai‘i, 2009
- Faculty Travel Awards, University Research Council, University of Hawai‘i, 2007, 2009, and 2012
- Scholarship Award from the National Science Academy Foundation, China, 2003
- Member of American Society for Virology
- Member of International Society of Neurovirology
- Member of American Association for Advancement of Sciences
- Member of the Society for Neuroimmune Pharmacology
- Member of American Society for World Aquaculture
- Member of Hawai‘i Public Health
Dr. Yuanan Lu's research interests focus on employing cutting-edge molecular biology and virology technology for the development of new technology for enhanced early detection of viral infection and novel preventive and therapeutic strategies to combat pathogenic viruses of human and marine species. Below are several ongoing research projects:
- Cell-based drug delivery into the Central Nervous System
- Monitoring of Hawaii beach waters quality using human enteric viruses as a new indicator
- Screening and identify new antiviral drugs from marine microorganisms in Hawaiian waters
- Marine biotechnology based development of shrimp strain with viral resistance.
Shi, Y.L., Soderlund, M, C,X. Wu, and Y. Lu. 2014. Molecular cloning and functional characterization of a newly isolated putative b-actin promoter from Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannanmei. PLoS ONE (in press).
Wu, C.X., V. Nerurkar, R., and Y. Lu. 2013. New insights into inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 replication through mutant tRNALys3. Retrovirology. 10:112- (DOI: 10.1186/10.1186/1742-4690-10-112).
Tong, J., H. Trapido-Rosenthal, J. Wang, Y.W. Wang, Q.X. Li, and Y. Lu. 2012. Antiviral activities and putative identification of compounds in microbial extracts from the Hawaiian coastal waters. Marine Drugs. 10:521-538.
Tong, H.I., C. Connell, A.B. Boehm, and Y. Lu. 2011. Effective detection of human noroviruses in Hawaiian waters using enhanced RT-PCR methods. Water Research 45(18):5837-5848.
Cao, S.B., C.X. Wu, Y.B. Yang, L.F. Sniderhan, S. Maggirwar, S. Dewhurst, and Y. Lu. 2011. Lentiviral vector-mediated expression of sTNFR-Fc in stably transduced human macrophage and neuronal cells: implications for NeuroAIDS therapeutic. J. Neuroinflammation. 8(1):48 (DOI: 10.1186/1742-2094-8-48)
Yasuhara-Bell J and Y. Lu. 2010. Marine compounds and their antiviral activities. Antiviral Research 86:231-240.