Victoria Fan, ScD
- ScD (Global Health & Population), Harvard School of Public Health
- SM (Population & International Health), Harvard School of Public Health
- SB (Mechanical Engineering), Massachusetts Institute of Technology
To schedule an appointment during office hours, visit calendly.com/vfan
Dr Victoria Fan is a health economist working in global health. She is based at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa as an assistant professor of health policy. Her current research examines the effectiveness and efficiency of policies of global health funding agencies as well as health policies in Asia, mainly India and China. Prior to UH, Dr Fan was a research fellow at the Center for Global Development where she analyzed the value for money of global health policy and a variety of topics in global health. She has worked with different nongovernmental organizations in Asia (BRAC, SEWA, Tzu Chi) and at different units at Harvard University (Harvard Initiative for Global Health, Harvard Global Equity Initiative, Harvard University Program for Health Care Financing). She has served as a consultant for the China Medical Board, World Bank and World Health Organization and on studies supported by the Rockefeller Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. She previously studied engineering at MIT to work on appropriate technologies in developing countries with major public health impacts, and later pursued health systems, evaluative sciences, and health economics at Harvard School of Public Health. Her doctoral dissertation examined the effectiveness of health insurance and conditional cash transfers on maternal and child health in India. You can follow her on Twitter at @FanVictoria and on the Center for Global Development's Global Health Policy blog.
Awards & Honors
- HSPH Doctoral Studies Fellowship (2008–2012)
- Harvard University Presidential Technology Fellowship (2008)
- HSPH Global Health & Population Department Grant (2007)
- HSPH Nichols Scholarship and Dean’s Andelot Scholarship (2007)
- Council of Alumni for Social Enterprise Fellowship (2007)
- MIT R.A. Boit Writing Prize (2005)
- MIT Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honors Society (2004)
- health economics
- health systems and policy
- health financing
- health workforce
- global health policy
Fan VY, Savedoff WD. The health financing transition: a conceptual framework and empirical evidence. Social Science and Medicine, 2014, 112–121.
Fan VY, Duran D, Silverman R, Glassman A. Performance-based financing at the Global Fund: an analysis of grant ratings and funding, 2003-12. Lancet Global Health 2013; 1(3): e161–e168.
Fan VY, Mahal A. What prevents child diarrhea? The impacts of water supply, toilets, and hand-washing in rural India. Journal of Development Effectiveness, 2011; 3(3): 340–370.
Lin SC, Hsu J, Fan VY. Silent virtuous teachers: anatomical dissection in Taiwan. BMJ 2009; 330.
Anand S, Fan VY, Zhang J, Zhang L, Ke Y, Chen LC. Human resources for health in China: quantity, quality, and distribution. Lancet 2008; 372(9651): 1774–1781.