Jay Maddock, PhD
- PhD (Experimental Psychology), University of Rhode Island
- MA (Experimental Psychology), University of Rhode Island
Awards & Honors
- Gold Award, National Public Health Information Coalition, Rethink Your Drink (2013)
- Ganjiang Chair Professor, School of Public Health, Nanchang University (2013-16)
- Award of Excellence, American Public Health Association, Council on Affiliates (2012)
- Leadership Award, Asia-Pacific Academic Consortium for Public Health (2011)
- Luojia Chair Professor, School of Public Health, Wuhan University, China (2011-14)
- Fellow, American Academy of Health Behavior (2011)
- US Surgeon General’s Community Champion Award – Healthy Hawaii Initiative (2009)
- Bank of Hawaii Community Leader of the Year, 2008
- Forty Under 40, Pacific Business News, Class of 2008
- Community Level Health Promotion
- Physical Activity and Nutrition
- Sun Exposure and Skin Cancer
- System Thinking
Current Research Grants
Mahina Project: International Indigenous Health Research Training Program. Funded by the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities. T37MD008625-1 Role on Project: Sub-award Co-PI. PI: Karina Walters. $1,250,000.
Get Fit Kauai: Safe Routes to School. Funded by the US Department of Transportation through the Hawaii Department of Transportation. Role of Project: Principal Investigator. $24,630.
Geothermal Community Health Study. Funded by the County of Hawaii. Role on Project: Principal Investigator. $12,061.
The Hawaii Health Data Warehouse Project. Funded by the Hawaii Department of Health. Role on Project: Principal Investigator. $3,623,558.
The Healthy Hawaii Initiative: Evaluation and Research. Funded by the Hawaii State Department of Health. Principal Investigator. $2,215,487.
Environmental and Policy Change to Promote Physical Activity and Nutrition on Maui and Kauai. Funded by the Hawaii State Department of Health. Principal Investigator. $375,000.
Xie, X., Wu, H., Lee, T., Wang, C.M.B., Zhou, X., Lu, Y., Yuan, Z., & Maddock, J.E. (in press). Gender differences in healthy home environments related to childhood obesity in Nanchang, China. Childhood Obesity.
Lemon SC, Valentine Goins K, Schneider KL, Brownson RC, Valko CA, Evenson KR, Eyler AA, Heinrich KM, Litt J, Lyn R, Reed HL, O’Hara Thompkins N, & Maddock J. (in press). Municipal officials participation in built environment policy development in the United States. American Journal of Health Promotion.
Zhang L., Yuan Z., Maddock, J.E., Zou, J., Zheng, Z. Zhou W. & Zheng H. (2014). Chronic disease prevalence and influencing factors among rural residents in Jiangxi, China. International Health, 6, 106-111.