Alan Katz, MD, MPH
Graduate Chair, MPH and MS Programs
Point of Contact: Native Hawaiian and Indigenous Health
- MD, University of California-Irvine
- MPH (Epidemiology), University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- BA (Biology), University of California-San Diego, Revelle College
Prior to his faculty appointment at UH, Dr. Katz served as the medical director of a federally qualified community health center on Oahu and Director of the Hawai‘i State Department of Health’s STD/AIDS Prevention Program. He currently serves as a member of the Hawai‘i State Board of Health and is a staff physician and medical consultant at the Hawai‘i State Department of Health's Diamond Head STD Clinic. Dr. Katz’s research interests include sexually transmitted diseases and leptospirosis.
Awards & Honors
- University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Distinguished Graduate Mentoring Award, 2008
- Presidential Citation for Meritorious Teaching, 1989
- Regents' Medal for Excellence in Teaching, 1992
- Fellow, American College of Preventive Medicine
- Fellow, American College of Epidemiology
Porter JC, Lusk HM, Katz AR. Prevalence of HCV infection among clients in community-based health settings in Hawaii, 2002-2010: assessing risk factors. American Journal of Public Health 2014;104(8):1534-1539.
Katz AR, Komeya AY, Soge OO, Kiaha MI, Lee MVC, Wasserman GM, Maningas EV, Whelen AC, Kirkcaldy RD, Shapiro SJ, Bolan GA, Holmes KK. Neisseria gonorrhoeae with high-level resistance to azithromycin: case report of the first isolate identified in the United States. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2012;54(6):841-843.
Katz AR, Buchholz AE, Hinson K, Park SY, Effler PV. Leptospirosis in Hawaii, 1999-2008. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2011;17(2):221-226.