Alan Katz, MD, MPH
Graduate Chair, MPH and MS Programs
Point of Contact: Native Hawaiian and Indigenous Health
- MD, University of California-Irvine
- MPH (Epidemiology), University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
- BA (Biology), University of California-San Diego, Revelle College
Prior to his faculty appointment at UH, Dr. Katz served as the medical director of a federally qualified community health center on Oahu and Director of the Hawai‘i State Department of Health’s STD/AIDS Prevention Program. He currently serves as a member of the Hawai‘i State Board of Health and is a staff physician and medical consultant at the Hawai‘i State Department of Health's Diamond Head STD Clinic. Dr. Katz’s research interests include sexually transmitted diseases and leptospirosis.
Awards & Honors
- University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Distinguished Graduate Mentoring Award, 2008
- Presidential Citation for Meritorious Teaching, 1989
- Regents' Medal for Excellence in Teaching, 1992
- Fellow, American College of Preventive Medicine
- Fellow, American College of Epidemiology
Katz AR, Komeya AY, Kirkcaldy RD, Whelen AC, Soge OO, Papp JR, Kersh EN, Wasserman GM, O’Connor NP, O’Brien PS, Sato DT, Maningas EV, Kunimoto GY, Tomas JE. Cluster of Neisseria gonorrhoeae isolates with high-level azithromycin resistance and decreased ceftriaxone susceptibility, Hawaii, 2016. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2017;65(6):918-923.
Porter JC, Lusk HM, Katz AR. Prevalence of HCV infection among clients in community-based health settings in Hawaii, 2002-2010: assessing risk factors. American Journal of Public Health 2014;104(8):1534-1539.
Katz AR, Komeya AY, Soge OO, Kiaha MI, Lee MVC, Wasserman GM, Maningas EV, Whelen AC, Kirkcaldy RD, Shapiro SJ, Bolan GA, Holmes KK. Neisseria gonorrhoeae with high-level resistance to azithromycin: case report of the first isolate identified in the United States. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2012;54(6):841-843.
Katz AR, Buchholz AE, Hinson K, Park SY, Effler PV. Leptospirosis in Hawaii, 1999-2008. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2011;17(2):221-226.