Frequently Asked Questions


Is the public health program accredited?

Yes. The bachelor of art (BA), master of public health (MPH), master of science (MS), and the doctor of philosophy (PhD) degree programs are accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health.

Is the University of Hawai‘i accredited?

Yes. The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.


How do I request an application?

Program information and application materials are available in pdf format on the Admissions page. We do not utilize the Graduate Division's document upload website.

May I submit application materials via email?

Please refer to the public health application (located on the Admissions page as a PDF) for instructions on how to submit the public health application materials. We do not accept emailed application materials.

When is the application deadline?

The deadline for the Fall 2024 semester for our in-person programs is December 1, 2023. The deadline for the Fall 2023 semester for our MPH-DE program is March 1, 2024. In general, all application materials (including official test scores) should be received by the application deadline. Note: Deadlines that fall on a weekend or a holiday will default to the next work day.

Do you participate in SOPHAS?

At this time we do not participate in SOPHAS. Interested applicants must submit application materials to the Program and the University.

Do you accept Spring applications?

The MPH, MS, and PhD programs do not typically offer spring admission. Recently, exceptions have been made to accommodate exceptional public health circumstances. Please check with the program at to inquire if Spring applications will be accepted or not.

May I submit an application after the deadline?

The program cannot guarantee that applications submitted after the deadline will be reviewed for admission, as late applications are considered on a space available basis. In addition, late applicants have fewer opportunities for financial assistance from the program. Application fees are nonrefundable and nontransferrable so interested applicants are advised to contact the program prior to submitting a late application.

Can the application fee be waived?

No. All applicants are required to submit an application fee of $100. An application submitted without an application fee will not be processed.

Is there a specific major or degree that I need in order to apply?

No. Applicants who wish to pursue the epidemiology specialization (MPH/MS degree) should have completed one year of coursework in a biological science, chemistry, and at least one semester of calculus is recommended. For health policy and management applicants (MPH degree), preference may be given to students with training in social science, health, or human services; prior paid or voluntary work experience in the health care or human services field is preferred, but not required. Native Hawaiian and Indigenous health applicants (MPH degree) should have completed coursework in the social sciences or humanities such as mathematics or statistics, public policy or political science, and psychology or sociology. Social and behavioral health sciences applicants (MPH degree) should have completed course work in psychology or sociology, biology or human development, and math or statistics.

Applicants applying to the PhD in Epidemiology must have a master's degree and a strong background in the natural and/or social sciences. PhD in Public Health (Community-Based and Translational Research) applicants must have a master's degree in public health or a graduate degree in an allied profession.

Do I need to submit the Letter of Recommendation form with my reference letter?

Yes, the letter of recommendation form must accompany your recommendation letter and your recommender must sign the seal of the envelope if mailing.

Who should I contact if I have questions about the program?

The Office of Public Health Student Academic Services is happy to answer any general admissions or application questions. If the questions are specific to the degree program, please contact the head of the specialization or graduate chair.

Financial Aid

Is financial aid available?

U.S. citizens may apply for financial aid through the university's Financial Aid Services Office. For more information, visit their website or email their office.

International students are cautioned that their opportunities for financial aid and scholarships are extremely limited. Those who anticipate the need for financial assistance are strongly encouraged to contact international sponsoring organizations and their Ministries of Health regarding the possibilities of fellowships or financial aid. It is the applicant's responsibility to secure their own funding. An international student must be able to certify complete financial coverage before admission to the university will be granted.

Does the program offer any graduate assistantship positions?

The Office of Public Health Studies offers a limited number of graduate assistantship positions, generally associated with specific projects. These positions are advertised at as they become available.

Does the program offer any financial assistance?

The Office of Graduate Education Achievement Scholarships are funded from tuition revenues and are intended to provide financial assistance for US and international students based on merid and service. The award amounts, which vary, are credited toward the student's overall tuition costs. To be eligible for this award, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above and demonstrate a commitment to the mission, goals, and objectives of the Office of Public Health Studies. Achievement scholarship awards may be made to new students and to continuing students. It is recommended that applicants to the program provide a complete graduate admissions application as early as possible since achievement scholarships are awarded early in the admission period. 

Graduate Record Exam (GRE)

Do I need to take the GRE?

The GRE General Test is optional for Fall 2024 applicants unless it is required by the Graduate Division

What are the institution and department codes for the GRE?

The university's Institution Code is 4867 and the department code is 0616.

Is there a minimum score that is needed on the GRE?

No. The faculty will evaluate both the score and the percentile on each of the verbal, quantitative and analytic sections.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

What is the minimum TOEFL score that is needed?

The minimum acceptable TOEFL score for master's degree applicants is 550 (79-80 for the IBT) and 600 (100 for the IBT) for doctoral degree applicants.

Applications for admission will not be processed until official TOEFL results are received. TOEFL scores that are more than two years old and/or photocopies of the Examinee Score Report are not acceptable.

What are the institution and department codes for the TOEFL?

The university's Institution Code for the TOEFL is 4867 and the department code is 50.


How much is tuition?

Tuition for the 2024-2025 academic year is $650 per credit for Hawai‘i residents and $1,402 per credit for non-residents. Students are also responsible for paying their student fees.