Opportunities to enroll in various programs, internships, and scholarships are always passing through our office and we felt they would be better accessible if posted on our website! You can also find a comprehensive directory of numerous summer programs offered via the following link, courtesy of the Colleges of Arts & Sciences: Directory of Summer Internships
Research and Summer Opportunities for Health
China California Heart Watch
The China California Heart Watch, a non-for-profit charity whose mission includes medical research, teaching and clinical care in rural Yunnan Province, China is seeking students, particularly those interested in future careers in medicine, public health, or related fields to participate in one of several internships this year. This program allows students the opportunity for first-hand experience of medical problems - particularly cardiovascular problems - and care in the impoverished communities of Yunnan.
Each of the five internships is open to 10-15 students. Students are required to cover the cost of all travel expenses to/from and within China, including room and board. The program requests a tax-free donation of $2000 for each of the summer programs or $1500 for the December program.
The following are the dates for the five internship programs:
- June 2 - 23
- July 7 - 29
- August 4 - 26
- September 1 - 23
- December 14 - 30
For more information and to apply online, visit China California Heart Watch
Global Health Education Programs Through CFHI
Child Family Health International (CFHI) is the leading nongovernmental organization (NGO) placing health science students on global health education programs in ways that are socially responsible and financially just. We model best global health education practices which demonstrate a priority commitment to community engagement and local integrity. CFHI is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the ECOSOC of the United Nations.
Their programs are open to all students of the health sciences, and are located in countries such as Bolivia, South Africa, Medico, and India. Their opportunities provide:
- clinical programs every month
- 4-12 week replacements
- mentoring by local physicians
- Spanish language training
- Weekly medical lectures
- Volunteer opportunities
For more information and to apply online, visit Child Family Health International (CFHI)
Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
Summer research experience is available for undergraduates! Research is available for several science fields, including astronomy, biosciences, engineering, physics, and psychology, as well as general and special interest programs.
Check out their website for more information.
Also, if you're interested in research opportunities in Hawaii, the mainland, and even abroad, check out these opportunities!
Job Opportunities for Health
Speech Language Pathologist Opening
Job Duration: We are looking to hire someone as soon as possible. They must have their ASHA certification and State of Hawaii SLP license. CFY candidates will be considered. It would be a full time, non-exempt position.
Salary: The salary is competitive, but variable based on the candidates experience.
Benefits: A full medical benefit package is included while employed at Imua Family Services.
Requirements: A master’s degree in a field qualifying the candidate as a Speech Language Pathologist.
Medical Assistant Job Opening
The Medicine Pediatrics Associates (Dr. Nadine Salle and Dr. Kristen Akina) is looking for a Medical Assistant to be hired immediately. No experience necessary, but the applicant should be able to multi-task and be a quick learner.
The applicant needs to be able to commit 30-40 hours a week for the next 2-3 months, then 25-40 hours a week for the following 1.5 - 2 years. Applicants should NOT be planning to apply to graduate school including medical or nursing school for the next cycle (matriculation in fall 2014).
The trade-off is a paid job with medical, dental, and vision benefits that provides amazing and invaluable clinical experience for pre-health students. Recent employees have successfully gone on to medical school (M.D./D.O. programs), nursing school, pharmacy school, and other health related graduate schools with experience that prepared them for not only school, but also for the profession. The job also can serve as a screening position for those not sure if they want to fully pursue these professions. However, again, all applicants must be able work at least 1.5 - 2 years in this position.
For those who are interested, they can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, or they can submit a resume or CV and cover letter to the fax number 808-521-9406. You can view the official job announcement here.
Medical Assistant Job Opening
Requirements: Must be able to commit at least 1.5-2 years from hiring date. Must be able to work at least 25 hours per week. Minimum of 35 per week is preferrable.
Medical Assistant Job Duties:
- Taking blood pressure, weight, and temperature; reporting patient history summary.
- Secures patient information and maintains patient confidence by completing and safeguarding medical records; completing diagnostic coding and procedure coding; keeping patient information confidential.
- Schedules appointments; verifying times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admission and consent forms.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Serves and protects the practice by adhering to professional standards, policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Enhances practice reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Skills/Qualifications: Verbal Communication, Scheduling, Professionalism, Confidentiality, Bedside Manner, Medical Teamwork, Self-Motivated, Multi-tasking. Position has been held in the past by pre-med, pre-nursing, and pre-physician assistants.
Starting Date: ASAP
Salary: Based on skill level
If you’re interested, please fax your cover letter and resume to Medicine Pediatrics Associates at (808) 521-9406. Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview.
Opportunities for Law
Loyola 3-Year Joint JD/Tax LLM Program
Loyola Law School in Los Angeles is now offering the only fully-sequenced 3-year joint JD/LLM Program in the United States. The program offeres potential for LLM-level tax employment after three years, intensive practical training, enhanced job prospects.
For more information visit Loyola Joint Program or
Professor Jennifer Kowal,
Director, Tax LLM program
Knewton Inc. (Test Prep Services)
Attention Pre-Law Students! Work as a Campus Representative and get a free LSAT course!
Duties: posting flyers, distributing promotional items to students, supplying test prep materials to the campus. Qualifications: 2-3 hrs/week, knowledgeable about campus' pre-law students, comfortable with internet and blogging, must have access to e-mail and internet on a daily basis.
Compensation: Cash bonuses, Free LSAT prep course by Knewton (a $690 value)
Please apply online by visiting clicking here.
Manoa Undergraduate Political Internships
Attention all Pre-Law students: UHM is currently offering a series of political internships that will provide you with substantial experience in law! Altogether, there are 10 Hawaii State Legislative Internships, 4 in the congress and 3 in the state executive offices.
Each internship also carries a stipend that covers 15 credits of in-state tuition and appropriate incidental costs of the internship.
The University of Hawaii at Manoa offers four types of political internships:
· Manoa Undergraduate Congressional Fellowship
· Hawai'i Governor's Office Executive Internship
· Hawai'i Lieutenant Governor's Office Executive Internship
· City and County of Honolulu Prosecutors Office Internship
· Hawai'i State Legislative Internship Application (Offered only in Spring Semester)
If you are interested in applying, or if you have any questions, please visit the Manoa Undergraduate Political Internships.
Note: All complete applications are due by April 8th for Fall 2012! Please submit your applications to the Office of Undergraduate Education QL Building 214. Applicants must be undergraduates in good standing at UHM.
Science in Action: Summer Programs for High School Students
If you’re a high school student with a passion for science or math, the Science in Action program offers an exciting summer experience!
- Noncredit courses will provide hands-on discovery and learning with world-class UHM faculty and researchers
- Access to facilities, laboratories, and data at the UHM campus, the John A. Burns School of Medicine, and Coconut Island
- Opportunity to gain high-level skills and strengthen your resumé
- Choose from a variety of 1 or 2 week noncredit courses in areas that include medicine, mathematics, marine biology, botany, and microbiological oceanography
- Thanks to generous donors, all students in the program will receive a scholarship toward their course fee(s); scholarship amounts are specified on individual course webpages
Please apply online by clicking here.