Skip to main content

Exporting Biological Commodities

All biological materials shipped out of the State of Hawaiʻi including inter-island transfers must comply with IATA, DOT shipping regulations. Individuals preparing the shipment must have current General Biosafety training and Transportation of Infectious and Biological Materials training.

Anyone who prepares a shipment containing a Category A, Infectious Substances and Select Agents and Toxins must receive approval from the Research Compliance office.

Complete the UH BSP2 application (PDF). Note: Any other versions of the BSP are no longer accepted. Include a copy of any required permits and licenses and submit to or FAX to 808-956-2265. We are not responsible for documentation submitted to other email addresses or fax numbers. Only the Research Compliance Officer or the Research Compliance Assistant may sign and approve any transportation of biological commodities documents at the University of Hawaiʻi.

Export of some etiological agents out of the United States may require a license from the Department of Commerce. A list of the biological materials that may require a license can be found on the Category 1-Special Materials and related equipment, chemicals "Microorganisms," and "Toxins" Commerce Control List (PDF). For more information, contact the US Department of Commerce opens in a new window, Telephone: 1-202-482-4811.

You may also use this Interactive Tool (or view as a Flow Chart) to guide you through the process and requirements for exportation.





Contact Us

Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Biosafety Compliance Program
1960 East-West Road, Biomed T110
Honolulu, HI 96822