Skip to main content Skip to main navigation

Procedures for Establishing Academic Agreements (MOUs, MOAs)


    All UHM agreements involving academic programs must be reviewed by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (OVCAA) and signed by Chancellor. Academic agreements include student exchange agreements, accelerated pathways agreements (3+2’s, early college, etc.), articulation agreements, and general inter-institutional collaboration agreements. All draft agreements should be submitted to the appropriate office for review prior to signing (see “Agreement Types and Contact Information” below). Some agreements will require vetting through the Office of General Council (OGC), and OVCAA will help facilitate this process when necessary. Further, all international agreements must be reviewed by the Office of Export Controls (, as well as Don Straney (, and Jennifer Ontai( in the Office of the Vice President for Academic Planning and Policy. Please note that depending on the necessary level of review and the amount of consultation required, the process can take several weeks so please plan accordingly.

    The review process begins with consultation/review by the appropriate office that will provide feedback on the draft and help facilitate additional levels of review when necessary (with OEC and OGC). Once the final agreement is approved, the submitting unit will send it to Chancellor for signature via the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs with the appropriate cover memo (templates here). The memo must include the purpose of the agreement, verification of approval by OEC (for international) and OGC (when required), and the name of the translator when the agreement is provided in a foreign language for signature.

    Once Chancellor signs and the partner institution signs, a pdf of the final executed agreement should be emailed to The originating unit is responsible for monitoring progress/outcomes of the agreement (conducting annual review, initiating renewal, etc.).

    Questions and concerns regarding the process for reviewing and submitting agreements should be emailed to


    • Agreements of General Collaboration (MOU)

      Contact: OVCAA/MIX (
      These MOUs are aspirational agreements that establish a broad context for a variety of collaborative opportunities but do not commit specific university funds or resources. In general, additional binding agreements are established in specific areas of collaboration such as student exchange, program articulation, research collaborations, etc. For these agreements please use the OGC-approved MOU template.

    • Joint/Dual Degree and Articulation Agreements (MOA)

      Contact: OVCAA( consultation with the OVCAA is required
      These agreements establish specific provisions for admission and course/credit transfer equivalencies and joint/dual degree programs. In general, agreements of this nature are designed jointly by academic faculty at UHM and the partner university.

    • Student/Scholar Exchange (MOA)

      Contact: OVCAA/MIX (
      These agreements commit university resources in the form of tuition exemptions for incoming students and allow for exchange of UHM students and international students coming from a partner university on a reciprocal tuition exemption basis. For student exchange agreements please complete the MIX Student Exchange Agreement Proposal Form and send to the MIX Office, QLC 206, or send a scanned signed copy to

    • Visiting Student Agreements (MOA)

      Contact: OVCAA/MIX (
      These agreements may commit university resources in the form of scholarship support in certain cases, and allow for receiving visiting (non degree-seeking) students from a partner university on a non-exchange, tuition-paying basis for 1 to 2 semesters.

    • Accelerated Pathway Agreements (3+2 Program Agreements, etc.)

      Contact: OGE (Ivy Mu -
      These agreements may establish specific provisions for admission, accelerated plans of study- typically for Master’s degrees, and specific course/credit transfer equivalencies. These agreements are designed jointly by academic faculty at UHM and the partner university.

    • Non-Funded Research Agreements (MOU)

      Contact: OVCR (
      Non-funded research MOUs are aspirational agreements that specify a broad context for collaborative research opportunities and activities that do not commit specific university funds or resources. Implementation of specific research activities shall be negotiated separately and defined in a separate binding agreement.

    • Note: These procedures do not apply to facilities use agreements, fee-for-service type contracts or funded research agreements.