Leeward Discovery Fair on November 6
20th annual day of family fun!Leeward Community College
Marketing Officer, Chancellor's Office
Janice Ito, (808) 455-0252
Fair Coordinator, Math & Sciences
Additional fair offerings include the Local Market, tours of the Fossil & Mineral Exhibit and the Garden Section, featuring plants and ornamental sales.
The fair teams up again with Aloha 'Aina Earth Day to provide a convenient, one-stop recycle center for a large variety of items from ewaste/green waste to tires and appliances. Shredding of confidential documents will also be provided. (details at end).
The highlights of the fair are the bustling hands-on, interactive learning activities for the entire family. New exhibits include “OpTricks,” where paper dinosaurs come alive and you can watch your skin actually “crawl,” and “Quicksand Goo,” a mysterious glob that is both a liquid and a solid!
Returning crowd-favorites include “CSI Leeward,” a mock crime scene investigation, Bubblicious Geometry, and BONES, a forensic puzzle waiting to be solved.
Other Discovery Fair activities include:
- Re-Works of Art: A crafty approach to creating wearable art and collectibles using recycled materials.
- Bug City: The bugs are back! Build your own bug and get a close-up look at a variety of creepy crawlers.
- Pliable Polymer: Squiggle, squeeze and turn liquids into solids, creating your own polymer worms or a bag of the silliest putty
- Spaghetti Engineering: Build structures and bridges with food!
- Instant Snow: Snow in paradise? Make snow magically appear.
- Chemistry Magic: Freeze a flower or shrink a balloon with liquid nitrogen. Learn the "tricks" of real science.
- Read Alouds, Fossil & Mineral Exhibits, Discovery Store
The fair offers a variety of crafts exhibits, food and entertainment, including:
- Scholastic Book Fair
- Local Market
- Food booths, including fair favorites, shave ice and hot dogs
- Galactic Games, a galaxy of carnival games
- Tours of the Fossil & Mineral Exhibits
- Continuous entertainment
- Native Hawaiian, ornamental and lei plant sales
Aloha Aina Earth Day Details
The fair is teaming up with ALOHA AINA EARTH DAY as a fundraiser for the college.
Drive Thru Drop Off Recycling
* Beverage containers
* Cooking oil
* Cellular phones
* Printer cartridges
* Newspaper, cardboard
* Tires (passenger tires-limit four per car)
* Plastic bags and hangers
* All kinds of batteries
* Telephone books, magazines
* Computers and accessories
* Electronics, eWaste
* Usable clothing /household items
* Green waste
* Scrap metal, bicycles
* Used eye glasses, hearing aids
* WILL NOT ACCEPT: paints, hazardous fluids, gas tanks
Additional Services Available
* Shredding confidential documents (max. two banker boxes, 8 a.m. -12 p.m. only)
* Unwanted cars – FREE TOWING by appointment only, call 306-1876
* FREE roll-off bin service off-site for scrap metal – call 306-1876 for information
For more information, visit: http://www.leeward.hawaii.edu/leewarddiscoveryfair