- Brown, J.D., Hilgers, T., & Marsella, J. (1991).
- Essay prompts and topics: Minimizing the effect of mean differences. Written Communication, 8, 533-556.
- Marsella, J.M., Hilgers, T. L., and McClaren, C. (1992).
- How students handle writing assignments: A study of eighteen responses in six disciplines. In C. Moran & A. Herrington (Eds.), Writing, teaching, and learning in the disciplines, pp. 174- 188. New York: Modern Language Association.
- Despain, L., & Hilgers, T. (1992).
- Readers' responses to the rating of non-uniform portfolios: Are there limits on portfolios' utility? WPA/Writing Program Administration, 16, 24-37.
- Hilgers, T., & Bayer, A. S. (1993, July-August).
- Student voices and the assessment of a new core writing requirement at the University of Hawai‘i. Assessment Update, 5, 4-5.
- Hilgers, T., Bayer, A.S., Stitt-Bergh, M., & Taniguchi, M.
- Doing More Than "Thinning Out the Herd": How Eighty-Two College Seniors Perceived Writing-Intensive Classes. Research in the Teaching of English, Vol. 29, No. 1. February 1995.
- Hilgers, T.L., Hussey, E.L., & Stitt-Bergh, M.
- "As You're Writing, You Have These Epiphanies": What College Students Say About Writing and Learning in Their Majors. Written Communication, Vol. 16, No. 3. July 1999.