Thank you for your interest in Mānoa International Exchange (MIX)!
This information is for UH Mānoa students interested in going abroad.
Click a category below to expand.
Plan ahead for international exchange!
In your online MIX application, you will be asked to indicate the top five partner universities where you would like to be nominated. Use the links below to explore your options!
Browse by Country - There are MIX Partner Universities in over 20 countries!
Browse by Academic Area - In MIX by Major, check out universities that offer courses in your academic area. Talk to your academic advisor to discuss using transfer courses from abroad to satisfy your major, minor, and other degree requirements.
Browse Summer Programs - Spend a summer abroad at a one of UHM's partner universities.
Get MIX Advising - Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions, or come and talk to us! We're happy to help you plan. MIX Advising hours are Tues, Weds, Thurs 1:30-3:30 PM, QLC 206.
Eligibility: To go on international exchange, you should have sophomore standing and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. If you have questions about your eligibility for MIX, please email email@example.com or visit us in QLC 206.
Apply to MIX
When to Apply
Summer, Fall, Academic Year exchanges:
- Application Opens: Dec 1
- Priority Deadline: Feb 1
- Extended Deadline: Apr 1
- Application Opens: July 1
- Priority Deadline: Sept 1
- Extended Deadline: Nov 1
You are strongly encouraged to apply by the Priority Deadline! After that, applications will be accepted until the Extended Deadline, but space at some MIX Partner Universities may become unavailable.
Missed the Extended Deadline? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org - late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Note to Financial Aid Recipients: Financial aid students who submit late applications may face delays in receiving their financial aid awards.
How to Apply
First, apply to MIX. It's easy to do! Then, get your Nomination & Next Steps.
1. Online MIX Application - Indicate your top five MIX Partner University preferences.
2. Passport Copy - Email to email@example.com (JPG or PDF). Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months after your term abroad. If you need to apply for or renew your passport, please email us to let us know, then start the passport application/renewal process right away (Campus Center ID card window or Travel.State.Gov).
3. Statement of Purpose - (NOT required for Summer Programs): INSTRUCTIONS:
- Heading: MIX Statement of Purpose, Your Name, UH ID Number, Term Abroad
- Maximum length: 1 page (500 words)
- Address the following questions: Which MIX Partner Universities interest you, and why? What courses do you want to take while you are abroad, and how does international exchange fit into your academic plan? Why are you a good candidate for international exchange? What do you hope to gain while abroad, and what do you hope to contribute?
- Email your Statement of Purpose to firstname.lastname@example.org (Word or PDF).
NOTE: Every student applying for MIX must meet personally with a MIX staff member. If you have not yet met with Darrell Kicker or Sara Otis, please come to Drop-In Advising: Tues, Weds, Thurs 1:30-3:30 PM.
After you Apply: Nomination
MIX Applicants will receive a Nomination & Next Steps email within one month after the application deadline.
Being nominated to a MIX Partner University means that you have been deemed qualified for one of the available exchange spaces at that university. MIX has officially nominated you to the Partner University, and provided some basic information about you (name, major, etc.).
Factors considered for MIX Nomination: GPA, academic area, class level, space available, and the balance between inbound and outbound exchange students at each partner university.
Please keep an open mind about your nomination. All MIX Partner Universities are excellent, so you will be in good hands no matter where you go.
MIX Summer Programs: Only students going on "Regular Exchange" programs need to be officially nominated to the Partner University before going on to Next Steps. Students going on "Independent" programs can go on to Next Steps without a nomination.
After Nomination: Next Steps
Once you have been nominated to a MIX Partner University, you must complete that university's application process for exchange students.
Important: Your Nomination & Next Steps email will contain detailed instructions on how and when to complete the application process for your partner university. Please follow instructions carefully, and submit your application materials to the partner university on time! Let the MIX staff know if you need help.
Each university has a different application process - some have online applications, while others require you to send forms and documents in the mail. Some universities require letters of recommendation, while others do not. Many universities require official transcripts, ID photographs, health forms, etc.
Once you have been nominated to a MIX Partner University, please go to MIX Pre-Departure Information.