Skip to main content

Manoa International Exchange


Financial Aid & Scholarships

for Outbound MIX Students


MIX Financial Aid Tutorial (Click below)

Study Abroad Scholarships

  • Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - For U.S. undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Students must be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant in order to apply. Awards are up to $5,000 for a semester, plus an additional $3,000 for students studying a Critical Needs Language (includes Chinese, Japanese, and Korean).
  • Bridging Scholarship - For undergradute students in any major who will be studying in Japan. Students must be U.S. citizens to apply; awards are $2,500 for a semester or $4,000 for a year.
  • Boren Awards for International Study - This scholarship is open to students studying abroad in geographic areas that are critical to U.S. national security. This includes all countries in Asia, but does not include Australia, New Zealand and Western Europe. Students must be U.S. citizens to apply; awards are up to $20,000.
  • JASSO Scholarship - For exchange students going on short-term study in Japan. Students placed at MIX universities in Japan will receive JASSO application forms from the partner university, if that university has qualified for JASSO funding (Japanese Government Funding).

University of Hawai'i Funding Sources

  • Shidler College of Business Travel Scholarships - Freeman Scholarship (Asia only) and Johnson Scholarship (all locations), for high-achieving business students going abroad. See Undergraduate Academic Advisor Rikki Mitsunaga in the Office of Student Academic Services (OSAS, BusAd B-101) for more information about scholarships and other funding opportunities.
  • Arts and Sciences Majors - The Arts and Sciences Advisory Council has established awards to help fund special scholarly activities of significant educational value not available through regular coursework.

Search Engines & Other Scholarship Resources

  • Fastweb - Free scholarship search tool

MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now





MIX Financial

Aid Forms