Financial Aid for MIX
Complete the FAFSA - In order to be considered for Financial Aid, you must first complete a FAFSA for each academic year. Based on the FAFSA, you will be awarded grants and/or loans.
Get your Award - Normally, your Financial Aid Award (grant & loan offer) is based on the average costs of living and studying in Hawaii. When you go on international exchange, however, your award will be adjusted based on the costs of living and studying in another country.
Know Your Tuition - Your UHM tuition & fees will remain exactly the same when you go abroad on MIX. However, your living expenses may change, and you may have additional travel costs such as international airfare.
Complete a MIX Budget - To have your Financial Aid Award adjusted for the semester(s) you spend abroad, you must complete a MIX Financial Aid Budget. Complete the form using the cost estimates on the MIX website (see MIX Partner Universities), and then bring the form to MIX for review. MIX will forward the form to Financial Aid Services, who will then adjust your Award in MyUH. Note: If you only receive department Merit-based scholarships, but did not complete a FAFSA, you do not need to complete a MIX Financial Aid Budget.
Accept your Award - You must accept your award in your MyUH portal, in order for the funds to be released. First, your award will be applied towards your tuition bill. If there is a remaining balance, you must pay the difference. If your award covers all of your tuition and then some, you can have the remaining funds directly deposited into your bank account (please sign up for e-Refund in Myuh). You can use those funds to cover your housing and personal expenses while you are abroad.
Plan Ahead - Please note that your Financial Aid Award will be disbursed approximately 10 days before the first day of instruction at your overseas university. Plan ahead to cover your plane ticket, which you will need to purchase before your Award is disbursed.
Summer Financial Aid - If you are going on a MIX Summer Program that is categorized as 'Regular Exchange', and are taking a minimum of 6 credits over the summer, you may qualify for a summer financial aid award. Typically, only loans are awarded during the summer -- not grants. If you would like a summer loan award, please fill out a MIX Financial Aid Budget AND a Summer Study Abroad Financial Aid Application. Students going on 'Independent' MIX Summer Programs are not eligible to receive separate summer loan awards. Conversely, students going on either type of MIX Summer Program can simply use loans accepted from previous semesters that have not yet been used - no budget form is necessary.
MIX Budget Forms
Scholarships for Study Abroad
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship - For U.S. undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Students must be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant in order to apply. Awards are up to $5,000 for a semester, plus an additional $3,000 for students studying a Critical Needs Language (includes Chinese, Japanese, and Korean).
- Blakemore Freeman Fellowships - For graduate students studying language in Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, or Vietnam.
- Bridging Scholarship - For undergradute students in any major who will be studying in Japan. Students must be U.S. citizens to apply; awards are $2,500 for a semester or $4,000 for a year.
- Boren Awards for International Study - This scholarship is open to students studying abroad in geographic areas that are critical to U.S. national security. This includes all countries in Asia, but does not include Australia, New Zealand and Western Europe. Students must be U.S. citizens to apply; awards are up to $20,000.
- Fund for Education Abroad - Various scholarships available for students who go abroad in the summer, semester, or year.
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) - For students who study abroad in Germany
- JASSO Scholarship - For exchange students going on short-term study in Japan. Students placed at MIX universities in Japan will receive JASSO application forms from the partner university, if that university has qualified for JASSO funding (Japanese Government Funding).
- Kamehameha Schools Financial Aid and Scholarship Services - For students of Hawaiian ancestry.
- Rotary Scholarships - Must contact the your local Rotary club to check availability of scholarships and local application deadlines.
- STA Travel - New Zealand Study Abroad Scholarship
- U.S. China Exchange Scholarships (CPE) - For U.S. students who study abroad in China
- Whitaker International Undergraduate Program - For undergraduate students studying biomedical sciences or biomedical engineering. Awards range from $7,500 per semester to $10,000 per year.
University of Hawai'i Funding Sources
- Arts and Sciences Majors - The Arts and Sciences Advisory Council has established awards to help fund special scholarly activities of significant educational value not available through regular coursework.
- Avis Morigawara Scholarship - For undergraduate students focusing on the study of Japan. Apply in STAR.
- Center for Chinese Studies (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan) - Undergraduate Student Funding
- Center for Japanese Studies - Funding for students pursuing Japanese studies at UHM
- Center for Korean Studies - Various scholarships
- Center for Pacific Island Studies - Various scholarships
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies (Singapore, Thailand) - Various fellowships
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship for East Asia & Southeast Asia - for UHM students combining modern foreign language training with area/international studies. (Apply online in STAR, keyword FLAS)
- School of Pacific and Asian Studies (SPAS) - Various scholarships
- Shidler College of Business Travel Scholarships - Freeman Scholarship (Asia only) and Johnson Scholarship (all locations), for high-achieving business students going abroad. See Undergraduate Academic Advisor Rikki Mitsunaga in the Office of Student Academic Services (OSAS, BusAd B-101) for more information about scholarships and other funding opportunities.
- STAR - UH Student Scholarships - Log in to find UH scholarships for which you qualify.
- UH Diversity and Equity Initiative Award - For students who propose a project addressing issues on race, ethnicitygender, sexual orientation, disability, and culture. Awards are up to $5,000.
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) - UROP provides funding for undergraduate research projects, including those carried out overseas.
Search Engines & Other Scholarship Resources
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) - Support for women
Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund - Various scholarships
Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship - For students in science, mathematics, and engineering fields
- Diversity Abroad - Various scholarships for study abroad students
- Fastweb - Free scholarship search tool
- Fund My Travel - Easy-to-use Fundraising website
- Gates Millennium Scholarship - For undergraduate students
- GLBTQI Scholarship Resources:
- GoAbroad.com - Free scholarship search tool
- InternationalScholarships.com - International scholarships database
- IIE Passport Study Abroad Funding - Excellent website with information on a number of scholarships. Search by country or by area of study.
- Scholarships.com - Free scholarship search tool
- Studyabroad.com - Study abroad scholarships and financial aid page
- Zinch.com - Free scholarship search engine