- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- AGC in SLS/Spanish Applied Linguistics
- Language Immersion Programs
- Contact Us
Professor, Chair of LLEA
1890 East-West Rd.
484 Moore Hall
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: 956 8828
Fax: (808) 956 9536
Professor Chandler teaches Spanish and Portuguese language, foreign language teaching methodology and Spanish applied linguistics. His area of focus is teacher development. He often serves as Chair of Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American & Iberian Studies. Professor Chandler represents the Hawai‘i Association of Language Teachers on the Board of the Southwest Conference on Language Teaching (SWCOLT).
- Ph.D. Indiana University, Bloomington. Instruction of Hispanic Language & Literature. Minors: Portuguese, Educational Psychology
- M.A.T. Indiana University, Bloomington. Spanish.
- B.A. Indiana-Purdue Universities, Fort Wayne. Spanish.
Areas of Interest
- Teacher development, Second language reading, Second language acquisition, Spanish phonetics, Languages in contact
- 2006. Keynote speaker for Paraguay TESOL. Invited by the US Embassy of Paraguay.
- 2003. J. William Fulbright Scholarship, (June-Dec. 2003). Universidad del Norte, Asunción, Paraguay.
- 2006. ¨Critical Period or Language Learning Difficulties: Are There Two Types of Adult Foreign Language Learners?¨ in C. Abello-Contesse, R. Chacón-Beltrán, M. D. López-Jiménez, M. Torreblanca-López (Eds.) Age in L2 Acquisition and Teaching. Oxford: Peter Lang.
- 2005. ¿Qué te parece esta lectura? J.F. Lee, P.M.Chandler, D. Binkowski. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- 2004. English with You. (Beginning English as a Foreign Language). S. Ruffinelli, H. Lalwani, C. Ortiz, J. Cazal, E. Núnez, P. Chandler. Asunción, Paraguay: ÚltimaHora.
- 2004. “Building Consensus on Teacher Assessment.” with Stael Ruffinelli de Ortiz. English Teaching Forum. July, 2004. 42(3): 22-31.
- 2003. ¿Qué te parece? Media edition. J.F. Lee, D.J. Young, D.F. Wolf, P.M. Chandler. New York: McGraw-Hill Publishers.
- 2003. “Leveling the Playing Field in the LOTE Classroom: An Overview of Current Practices.” New York State Language Association Journal. 58 (2): 4-10.
- 2002. “Second Language Reading in the United States: Making Reading Communicative” In Proceedings of the Sixth ELIA Conference (Estudios de Lingüística Inglesa Aplicada). Seville, Spain.
- 2001. “Introducing Action Research into Post-Secondary Foreign Language Teacher Education” with Graham Crookes. Foreign Language Annals, 34 (2): 131-140.
- 2001. “La lectura: el caso de las lenguas extranjeras en Estados Unidos.” In Memorias del V Congreso de las Américas sobre Lecto-Escritura. (Fifth Literacy Congress of the Americas) Quito, Ecuador.
- Seminar in Hispanic Linguistics,
- Seminar in Foreign Language Teaching Methodology
- Introduction to Spanish Linguistics
- Historical Spanish Linguistics
- Topics in Spanish Literature
- Spanish Phonetics and Phonology
- Spanish and Portuguese language