- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- Resources / Scholarships / Study Abroad
- Contact Us
Chair Spanish Division
1890 East-West Rd.
Moore Hall 455
Honolulu, HI 96822
- PhD. Department of Second Language Acquisition. University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa (Summer 2008). Dissertation title: “No Me Llames de Usted, Trátame de Tú”: L2 Address Behavior Development through Synchronous Computer-Mediated Communication.
- Curso de metodología de la enseñanza del español como lengua extranjera. (Course on Teaching Methodology for Spanish as a Foreign Language) Instituto Cervantes and Department of Modern Languages, Universidad de Granada, Spain. (Summer 2005)
- Graduate Advanced Certificate, Second Language Studies (Spring 2003)
- Curso sobre la enseñanza y aprendizaje de la cultura en el aula de español como lengua extranjera. (April 2002) (Teaching and learning culture in the Spanish language classroom). Instituto Cervantes and Department of Language and Literature Methodology, Universidad de Valladolid, Spain.
- Master of Arts. Department of Linguistics, University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa. (Fall 1997). Thesis title: “SNOBOL and a study of Medieval Spanish. An application of computational linguistics to literary texts”.
- Master of Arts. Department of European Languages and Literature, Specialization in Spanish Linguistics and Literature. University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa. (Spr. 1993)
- Licenciatura – English Philology. Universidad de Valladolid, Spain (Spr.1991)
- First year Spanish language ( Span 101, 102)/ Coordinator (Spr. 1996)- University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa
- First year intensive course (Span 105) – UHM
- Second year Spanish language (Span 202) / Coordinator (Spring 1997, Fall 2001, Spring 2003, Fall 2005)- UHM
- Third year Conversation (Span 303) – UHM
- Third year Grammar and Composition (Span 301 WI) – UHM
- Third year Commercial Spanish (Span 306) – UHM
- Spanish Phonetics and Pronunciation (Span 330) – UHM
- Spanish Reading (Span 300) – UHM
- Spanish for Heritage Speakers (Span 310) -UHM
- The structure of Spanish (Span 452) – UHM
- Methods for language teachers (LLL455) (On-line/Hybrid) – UHM
- Integrating Technology into Language Instruction (SLS 68OP) – UHM
- Instructional Media (SLS 418) – UHM
- Fonética Contrastiva. Tercero Filología Inglesa – Universidad de Sevilla, Spain.
- Análisis Pragmático. Quinto Filología Inglesa – Universidad de Sevilla, Spain.
- Spanish in Society: Spanish Pragmatics (Span 400) -UHM
- Seminar in Spanish Linguistics (Span 658): Gramática Pedagógica del Español – UHM
- Seminar in Computer-mediated Interpersonal Communications (LLEA 681C) -UHM
- Seminar in Spanish Linguistics (Span 658): Gramática pedagógica y adquisición del español como L2-UHM
- Seminar in Spanish Linguistics (Span 658): Spanish Applied Linguistics
One of my main interests is CALL (Computer assisted language learning). Most of my courses incorporate technology (webCT, Intenet, web-page creation, blogs, wikis, discussion forums, …) to learn Spanish in a practical manner. I enjoy teaching on line and I have created and maintain the LLEA department and its five-division web sites.
See a complete list in my website
- (2016) Staking out the territory of technology-mediated TBLT. In M. Bygate (Ed.). Domains and Directions in the Development of TBLT (pp. 59–86). Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins (with L. Ortega as 1st author)
- (2015) Does TBLT work? Evaluation of a task-based Spanish program. Language Teaching Research. (with K. Nielson) [DOI: 10.1177/1362168814541745]
- (2014). Technology-mediated TBLT: Researching Technology and Tasks (co-edited volume with L. Ortega). Amsterdam /Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- (2014) The need for needs analysis in technology-mediated TBLT. In M. Gonzalez-Lloret & L. Ortega (Eds.) Technology and tasks: Exploring technology-mediated TBLT (pp. 23-50). Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- (2014) Towards technology-mediated TBLT. An introduction. In M. Gonzalez-Lloret & L. Ortega (Eds.) Technology and tasks: Exploring technology-mediated TBLT (pp. 1-21). John Benjamins. (With L. Ortega)
- (2014) Test review of Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals: Preschool – Spanish Edition (CELF) . In J. F. Carlson, K. F. Geisinger, & R. A. Spies (Eds.), The Nineteenth Mental Measurements Yearbook (pp. 171-173). The Buros Institute of Mental Measurements, Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press. (with Brown, J. D.)
(2014). Investigación-acción (IV): aprender con un ejemplo [Action research: Learning through an. Didactired. Centro Virtual Cervantes. Retrieved from http://cvc.cervantes.es/aula/didactired/anteriores/enero_14/13012014.htm
- (2013) A review of Mediated Business Interactions. Intercultural Communication between Speakers of Spanish. By R. Márquez Reiter. Spanish in Context, 10 (2).
- (2013) Technologies for performance-based assessment. In M. L. Cañado (Ed.), Competency-based Language Teaching in Higher Education. Educational Linguistics (pp. 169-184). New York/London: Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht.
- (2013) Investigación-acción (III): la investigación cualitativa [Action Research: Qualitative Research]. DidactiRed Centro Virtual Cervantes. Available at: http://cvc.cervantes.es/aula/didactired/anteriores/mayo_13/20052013.htm
- (2012) Pragmatics (volume editor) Wiley Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Carol Chapelle General Editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- (2012) Pragmatics: An overview. In C. Chapelle (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Carol Chapelle General Editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- (2012) Using the World Wide Web. In C. Chapelle (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Carol Chapelle General Editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- (2012) Investigación-acción (II): la investigación cuantitativa [Action Research: Quantitative Research]. DidactiRed Centro Virtual Cervantes. Available at: http://cvc.cervantes.es/aula/didactired/anteriores/diciembre_12/17122012.htm
- (2012) Investigación-acción (I): cómo investigar nuestra propia enseñanza. [Action Research: How to research our own teaching]. DidactiRedCentro Virtual Cervantes. Available at: http://cvc.cervantes.es/aula/didactired/anteriores/noviembre_12/19112012.htm
- (2011) Conversation Analysis of Computer-mediated communication. CALICO Journal 28(2), 308-325.
- (2010) A review of Brave new digital classroom: Technology and Foreign Language Learning. By R. Blake. Language Teaching Research, 14(2).
- (2010) Effective Online Foreign Language Courses: Theoretical Framework and Practical Applications. The EUROCALL Review, 17. Available at http://www.eurocall-languages.org/review/17/index.html# nielson_gonzalez (with K. Nielson).
- (2010) Nuevas tecnologías en el aula plurilingüe. In Ch. Abelló Contesse, Ch. Ehlers, & L. Quintana Hernández (Eds.) Escenarios bilingües – el bilingüismo en el individuo y la sociedad. [Bilingual scenes – bilingualism in the individual and in the society] (pp. 79-104). Bern: Peter Lang.
- (2010) Conversation analysis and speech act performance. In A. Martínez-Flor & E. Usó-Juan (Eds.) Speech Act Performance: Theoretical, Empirical and Methodological Issues. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- (2009) “CA for computer-mediated interaction in the Spanish L2 classroom”. In G. Kasper and H. Nguyen (Eds.) Conversation analytic studies of L1 and L2 interaction, learning, and education, NFLRC and University of Hawai‘i Press
- (2009) Brett, D. and Gonzalez-Lloret, M. “Technology-enhanced materials”. In M. Long and C. Doughty (Eds.) The Handbook of Second Language Teaching. Blackwell.
See a complete list in my website
- (June 2015) Technology-mediated Tasks. English Lecture Series. Otaru University of Commerce, Sapporo Satellite, Sapporo, Japan.
- (June 2015) Innovation in education: Technology and new methodologies for learning. Otaru University of Commerce. Otaru, Japan.
- (June 2015) Collaborative and cooperative projects for language learning. Otaru University of Commerce. Otaru, Japan
- May 2015- “Tag clouds for Intercultural communication Part of the Colloquium: Exploring Intercultural Awareness in Diverse Language Learning Contexts” (with M. Vinagre). CALICO Conference. Boulder, Colorado
- (May 2015) Technology-mediated TBLT. Seminar talk for MA and PhD graduate students of the Humanities College. University Jaume I. Castellón. Spain
- (May 2015) Task-based Language Teaching and technology. Seminar for faculty of the Applied Linguistics Program, Universidad del País Vasco, Vitoria. Spain
- (May 2015) Tareas y nuevas tecnologías [Tasks and new Technologies] Seminar talk for Second/Foreign Languages Acquisition and Learning Research Group. Universidad de Alicante, Spain
- (March 2015) Teaching and researching technology-mediated language learning. Technical Workshop for Initiative for Multilingual Studies. Georgetown University.
- (March 2015) “The effectiveness of SCMC to develop L2 null-subject use”. Part of Colloquium CALICO: The complexity of language development in technology-rich contexts. AAAL (American Association of Applied Linguistics) Annual Conference. Toronto, Canada.
- (October 2014) Plenary speaker– “Tendencias actuales en el diseño de tareas de aprendizaje para desarrollar la competencia socio-pragmática”. Primeras Jornadas sobre el diseño de materiales para el desarrollo de la competencia socio-pragmática. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.
- (October 2014) “Enseñanza de lenguas basada en tareas (TBLT) y la adquisición socio-pragmática”. [Two-day workshop] Centro de Enseñanza de Lenguas Extranjeras. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.
- (September 2014) “SLA and Technology: Technology-mediated TBLT”. Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Brazil.
- (August 2014) “Tasks and technology for Language Teaching and Learning”. Department of Foreign Languages and Translation. Universidade de Brasilia. Brazil.
- (August 2014) “Technology-mediated Task-based Language Teaching: challenges and opportunities”. Faculdade de Letras. Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- (May 2014) “Repairs, corrections, and feedback in text-based SCMC. Disentangling the chaos through Conversation Analysis”. CALICO Conference. Ohio University, Ohio.
- (April 2014) “The construction of emotion in multilingual computer-mediated interaction” Part of invited colloquium: “Interlanguage Pragmatics and Digital Technologies for Research and Practice” 19th International Conference on Pragmatics and Language Learning. Indiana University, Bloomington.
- (October 2013) “Technology-mediated TBLT: Challenges and Opportunities. Technology-mediated TBLT Colloquium. International TBLT Conference. University of Alberta. Banff, Canada [Colloquium organizer
- (May 2013) “Technology-mediated Intercultural Language Learning: The use of word clouds for language learning”. CALICO Conference, University of Hawai‘i, Manoa [with R. Medina]
- (April 2013) “Learning to say goodbye” [Part of Panel: Longitudinal research in CA-SLA: Learning language in and through] Thinking, Doing, Learning: Usage Based Perspectives on Second Language Learning Conference. Second Language Resource Center. University Southern Denmark, Odense
- (February 2013) Conversation Analysis of Computer-Mediated Communication for L2 Learning. Department of Linguistics. Georgetown University.
- (January 2013) Invited Presentation. Games in the classroom. TASS (Teaching Assistant Survival Society). SLTCC. University of Hawai‘i.
- (September 2012) “Discussion, Discussion and Private Messages and Forums in Laulima: Which one do I need?” Language Learning Center Teaching and Technology Workshops. UH Manoa.
- (June 2012) The use of code switching in L2 Text, Audio and Video SCMC. CALICO/IALT Conference, University of Notre Dame.
- (April 2012) How do students improve their foreign language speaking skills? . 26th Annual HALT (Hawaii Association of Language Teachers) Conference. Hawai’i [with P. Chandler].
- (March 2012) The use of code-switching in text, audio, and video L2 SCMC. AAAL (American Association of Applied Linguistics) Annual Conference. Boston.
- (November 2011) TBLT for Heritage Learners. 4th Biennial International Conference on Task-Based Language Teaching. University of Auckland, NZ. [With S. Bhatawadekar & L. Aranda]
- (September 2011) Plenary presentation: Usos de la red para el desarrollo de competencias: desde la gramática hasta la interculturalidad. [Internet uses for the development of competencies: from grammar to interculturality]. XXII ASELE [Association for the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language] International Conference. University of Valladolid, Spain.
- (August 2011) L2 learning of conversation closings through computer-mediated communication. The 16th World Congress of Applied Linguistics. AILA (International Association of Applied Linguistics). Beijing Foreign Studies University, Beijing, China.
- (May 2011). Exploring openings and closings in audio, video and text CMC. CALICO Conference. University of Victoria, BC, Canada.
- (October 2010) Practical Internet activities that don’t require (much) preparation. HALT Symposium. University Hawai‘i, Mānoa.
- (July 2010) A CA Approach to the Pragmatics of CMC Troubles-talk. International Conference of Pragmatics and Language Learning. Kobe University, Japan.
- (June 2010) A CA approach to CMC. Presentation on panel “Future Research Paradigms and directions of CMC-based research”. Sponsored by the CMC Special Interest Group. CALICO Conference. University of Amherst, MA.
- (June 2010) Learning to laugh. A Conversation Analysis of computer-mediated communication. CALICO Conference. University of Amherst, MA.
- (February 2010) Distance learning and tasks. Presentation for the LAALCM i GRAL Program. University of Barcelona, Spain.
- (January 2010) Technology for Language Teaching: The Future is here. University of Jaen, Spain.
- College of LLL Excellence in Teaching Award (June 2013)
- University of Hawai‘i Research Council travel award (November 2012)
- University of Hawai‘i Research Council travel award (May 2011)
- College of LLL traveling award (May 2010)
- HALT Excellence in Teaching award (Hawaiian Association of Language Teachers) (March 2010)
- University of Hawai‘i Research Council travel award (May 2009)
- ‘Oihana Maika‘i Award for Research Excellence. Department of Second Language Studies. University of Hawai‘i (May, 2005)
- University of Hawai‘i Research Council travel award (April, 2005)
- Hawai‘i’s GSO (Graduate Student Organization) travel award (May, 2005)
For more information, visit: https://sites.google.com/site/martagonzalezlloret/home