- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- AGC in SLS /Spanish Applied Linguistics
- FAQs/ RESOURCES / SCHOLARSHIPS / STUDY ABROAD
- Contact Us
Moore Hall 430
1890 East-West Rd.
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-4440
Fax: (808) 956-9536
- Ph.D. Hispanic Literatures, UCLA. Dissertation: “Screening Change: Globalizing Spain at 24 Frames per Second”
- M.A. Spanish Literature, University of Florida
- B.A. Spanish, San Francisco State University
Areas of Interest
- Spanish Film, Contemporary Spanish Literature, Cultural Studies
- “All that Melodrama Allows: Sirk, Fassbinder, Almodóvar, Haynes.” In Dialogues with Hollywood. Ed. Paul Cooke. London: Palgrave. 2006.
- “The Eyes of Ana.” Studies in European Cinema. Fall 2006.
- “Time of Silence by Luis Martín-Santos.” World Literature and Its Times 5: Spanish and Portuguese Literatures and Their Times. Detroit: Gale Group, 2002, pp. 507-516.
- “Implicaciones de la parodia de ‘The Purloined Letter’ de E.A.Poe en ‘La muerte y la brújula’ de J.L. Borges.” Mester 24.2 (1996).
- “Vision and Revision: The Cinematic Adaptation of El embrujo de Shanghai.” Paper proposed for CineLit VI, Portland State University, February 2007.
- “Sirk/Fassbinder/Almodóvar/ Haynes: Melodramatic Crossings.” Second International Conference on Latin(o)American and Iberian Cinemas. University of Hawaii at Manoa, November 4, 2005.
- “Julio Medem: Projections of Desire.” Brown Bag Biography Series. University of Hawaii at Manoa. April 22, 2004.
- “Exclusion and Enclosure: Marginalization in Fernando León’s Barrio”, paper presented at the First International Conference on Latin(o)American and Iberian Cinemas. University of Hawaii at Manoa. November 6, 2003.
- “The Americanization of European Cinema.” Guest Lecture presented at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, April, 2003.
- “Exclusion and Enclosure: Marginalization in Fernando León’s Barrio”, paper presented at Space and Place: 3rd Annual Conference of the European Cinema Research Forum, University of Bath, England, April, 2003.
- “Using the Module Maker.” 2001 Forum, Scholarship in a New Media Environment (SIANME). UCLA, October 19, 2001.
- “Acción mutante: The Americanization of Spanish Cinema?” CHISPA Conference, Baton Rouge, LA. Feb. 20, 1998.
- “Mímesis cinemática en la narrativa española contemporánea: Humphrey Bogart and “the Memories of the Senses.” MLA Convention, Toronto, Canada. Dec.29, 1997.
- “El juego y la infinitud. Borges a todo azar.” UCLA Graduate Colloquium, May 23, 1996.
- Composition, Conversation, Spanish Cultural Perspectives, Masterworks of 19th & 20th Century Spanish Literature,
- Contemporary Spanish Novel, 19th Century Realism and Naturalism, Spanish Film, Film and Literature, Generation of 98, Contemporary Culture: Spain and Portugal