- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- AGC in SLS/Spanish Applied Linguistics
- Language Immersion Programs
- Contact Us
Professor, Chair of German,
1890 East-West Road
Moore Hall 454
Honolulu HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-4172
- Ph.D. University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa.
- M.A. University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa.
- Ludwig Maximilians Universität, München
Awards and Grants
- Frances Davis Award for Undergraduate Teaching. University of Hawai‘i.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Languages, Linguistics and Literature.
- Research Grants and Travel Awards: National Foreign Language Resource Center, University of Hawai‘i Research Council and College of Languages, Linguistics and Literature.
Areas of Interest
Pragmatics, German Language, German as a Foreign Language, Discourse Analysis, Conversation Analysis, Linguistic Categorization, Sociolinguistics, Language in its Social and Cultural Context
Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 2021. General Extenders: The Forms and Functions of a New Linguistic Category. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
Yule, G. and M. Overstreet. 2017. Puzzlings. Amazon Books.
Overstreet, M. 2016. The Routledge Modern German Reader. New York and Oxon, UK: Routledge.
Overstreet, M. 1999. Whales, Candlelight, and Stuff Like That: General Extenders in English Discourse. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Overstreet, M. 2019. The English General Extender: The Forms and Functions of a New Linguistic Category: or something, and stuff. English Today. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0266078419000312
- Overstreet, M. 2015. Metapragmatics. The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Boston: Wiley-Blackwell. 1-6.
- Overstreet, M. 2014. Frische Kurzgeschichten für den Unterricht. Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching Ger
man 47.1: 77-82.
- Overstreet, M. 2014. The Role of Pragmatic Function in the Grammaticalization of English General Extenders. Pragmatics 24: 105-129.
- Overstreet, M. 2012. Pragmatic Expressions in Cross-linguistic Perspective. Applied Research in English 1.2: 1-13.
- Overstreet, M. 2011. Vagueness and Hedging. In G. Andersen and K. Aijmer, Handbooks of Pragmatics: Pragmatics of Society. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 293-318.
- Overstreet, M. 2010. Metapragmatics. In Louise Cumming (ed.), The Pragmatics Encyclopedia. New York: Routledge, 266-268.
- Overstreet, M., Tran, J. and S. Zietze. 2006. Increasing Pragmatic Awareness: Die Vagheit der Sprache und so. Die Unterrichtspraxis/Teaching German 39.1-2: 24-29.
- Overstreet, M. 2005. And stuff, und so: Investigating Pragmatic Expressions in English and German. Journal of Pragmatics 37: 1845-1864.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 2002. The Metapragmatics of and everything. Journal of Pragmatics 34: 785-794.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 2001. Formulaic Disclaimers. Journal of Pragmatics 33: 45-60.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 1999. Fostering L2 Pragmatic Awareness. Applied Language Learning 10: 1-14.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 1997a. Locally Contingent Categorization in Discourse. Discourse Processes 23: 83-97.
- Overstreet, M. and G. Yule. 1997b. On Being Inexplicit and stuff in Contemporary American English. Journal of English Linguistics 25: 250-258.