- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- Contact Us
1890 East-West Road
Moore Hall 453
Honolulu HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-4182
Fax: (808) 956-9536
- DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst) Research Ambassador
- International Cultural Studies, Steering Committee
- Berlin and Beyond Honolulu – German Film Festival
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin at Madison.
- Fulbright Faculty Seminar in German Studies, June 2011 (declined)
- East German Film Institute, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, July 2009 (declined)
- German Film Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, August, 2008
- Cornell University, DAAD Summer Seminar in German Studies, June – July 2008
- Cornell University, School of Criticism and Theory, Summer 1999
- Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Germany, Spring Semester 1998
- University of California at Berkeley, German, Fall Semester 1997
Areas of Interest
20th-century literature, theory, and film; film history and theory; critical and aesthetic theory; theories of modernity, modernist literature, and art; Weimar era literature, art, and film; two Germanies: literature, culture and film, 1945-1989; post-1989 literature, culture and film; gender studies; globalization and transnational studies; theories and representations of social movements; and environmental humanities.
- Department of German, University of California at Berkeley, 2000-2006
Awards and Grants
- Fulbright and DAAD, Summer Academy in Leipzig, Germany, June 2014
- University Research Council, Faculty Travel Grant, University of Hawai’i at Mānoa, Oct 2013
- University of Hawaii Endowment for the Humanities, Summer Research Award, June 2013
- University Research Council, Faculty Travel Grant, University of Hawai’i at Mānoa, March 2013
- University Research Council, Faculty Travel Grant, University of Hawai’i at Mānoa, June 2012
- Fulbright Commission, German Studies Seminar, June-July 2012 (alternate)
- DAAD Faculty Research Grant, Freie Universität, Berlin, June – August 2011
- DAAD Faculty Grant, Marbach Literaturarchiv Seminar, July 2011 (declined)
- Fulbright Faculty Seminar in German Studies, June 2011 (declined)
- Columbia University, Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures, 2009-2010
- Zentrum für Zeithistorische Forschung, Potsdam, Germany, Summer 2009
- American Council on Germany, Hunt Fellowship, Summer 2009 (alternate)
- Harvard University, Center for European Studies, Visiting Scholar, 2008-2009
- DAAD Grant, Summer Seminar in German Studies, Cornell University, June – July 2008
- Fulbright Commission, Research Grant, 2007 – 2008
- Freie Universität, Berlin Program for Advanced German Studies, Germany, 2006 – 2007
- University of California at Berkeley, Professional Development Fund, July 2006
- DAAD Grant, Center for Contemporary German Literature, Washington Univ, June 2006
- University of California at Berkeley, Professional Development Fund, 2005-2006
- Modern Languages Association, Graduate Student Travel Grant, December 2004
- German Historical Institute, Young Scholar Award, May 2004
- Critique of Violence: The Trauma of Terrorism (submitted / under review)
- The Language of Nature in Theodor W. Adorno’s Writings (submitted / under review).
- Adorno and Ethics. Ed. Christina Gerhardt. New German Critique 97 (2006).
- Nominated for the Council of Editors of Literary Journals “2006 Best Special Issue” award.
Co-Edited Series in a Peer-Reviewed Journal:
- “The Berlin School: The Dreileben Project,” German Studies Review 36.3 (October 2013).
- Five articles on the 2011 Berlin School trilogy Dreileben. Co-edited with Marco Abel.
Articles (Peer-Reviewed Volumes and Journals):
- “RAF as German and Family History: Von Trotta’s Marianne and Juliane and Petzold’s The State I Am in.” The Place of Politics in German Film. Ed. Martin Blumenthal-Barby (Bielefeld: Aisthesis, 2014). (in press). 166-184.
- “‘Aus den Orten eine Geschichte Gewinnen’: Christian Petzold’s Etwas Besseres als den Tod,” German Studies Review 36.3 (October 2013): 617-25.
- “On Natural History: Concepts of History in Kracauer and Adorno,” Culture in the Anteroom: The Legacies of Siegfried Kracauer. Eds. Gerd Gemünden and Johannes von Moltke (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan, 2012). 229-243.
- “Narrating Terrorism: Kristina Konrad’s Greater Freedom, Lesser Freedom.”Questioning the RAF: The Politics of Culture. Special issue. Ed. Karin Bauer. Seminar 47.1 (2011): 64-80.
- “Thinking With: Animals in Schopenhauer, Horkheimer and Adorno.” Critical Theory and Animals. Ed. John Sanbonmatsu (Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2011). 137-157.
- “Working through the Past: Christian Petzold’s The State I am In.” ZeitRäume: Potsdamer Almanach. Ed. Martin Sabrow. (Göttingen: Wallstein Verlag, 2010). 31-42.
- “Frankfurt School.” The International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest, 1500 to the Present. 8 vols. Ed. Immanuel Ness (Malden, Mass: Blackwell, 2009). 1253-1257.
- “Theodor W. Adorno.” The International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest, 1500 to the Present. 8 vols. Ed. Immanuel Ness (Malden, Mass: Blackwell, 2009). 12-13.
- “Georg Lukács.” The International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest, 1500 to the Present. 8 vols. Ed. Immanuel Ness (Malden, Mass: Blackwell, 2009). 2135-2137.
- “Surveillance Mechanisms in Literature and Film: Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum by Böll and Schlöndorff / Von Trotta.” Literature and Film. Special Issue. Ed. P.M. Lutzeler. Gegenwartsliteratur 7 (2008): 69-83.
- “Transnational Germany: Hito Steyerl’s Die leere Mitte and 200 Years of Border Crossings.” Women in German Yearbook 23 (2007): 205-223.
- “Adorno and Ethics: Introduction.” Adorno and Ethics. Ed. Christina Gerhardt. New German Critique 97 (2006): 1-4.
- “The Ethics of Animals in Adorno and Kafka.” Adorno and Ethics. Ed. Christina Gerhardt. New German Critique 97 (2006): 159-178.
- “The Allied Air Bombing Campaign of Germany in Herzog’s Little Dieter Needs to Fly.” Bombs Away: Representing the Air War over Europe and Japan. Amsterdamer Beiträge zur Germanistik 60. Eds. William Rasch and Wilfried Wilms (Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2006). 345-354.
- “Theodor W. Adorno,” Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism. 2nd ed. Eds. Michael Groden, Martin Kreiswirth, and Imre Szeman (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, 2004).
Film Festival Reviews:
- “Berlin and Beyond Shows Shift in Focus,” Honolulu Star Advertiser, December 13, 2013.
- “HIFF 2012: Award Winners, Oscar Faves Enrich EuroCinema Line Up,” Honolulu Star Advertiser, October 11, 2012.
- “10th Jewish Film Festival,” Honolulu Star Advertiser, March 16, 2012.
- “HIFF 2011: EuroCinema Films Explore Social Woes,” Honolulu Star Advertiser, Sunday Edition, Oct. 16, 2011.
- “HIFF 2011: EuroCinema Screens Eight Films,” Honolulu Pulse, Oct. 16, 2011.
- “The Berlin School,” Cineaste (Spring 2014): 66-68. Review essay of Berlin School Glossary, Christian Petzold, The Counter-Cinema of the Berlin School, and The Berlin School.
- “‘Winning a (Hi)story out of Places’: Christian Petzold’s Barbara,” The Brooklyn Rail, November 2012.
- “Carlos,” The Sixties: A Journal of History, Politics and Culture 4.2 (December 2011): 201-204.
- “The Baader Meinhof Complex,” Film Quarterly 63.2 (Winter 2009-2010): 60-61.
Guest Lectures (select):
Marin Headlands, Center for the Arts; Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität – Frankfurt am Main; Freie Universität Berlin; New York University (Deutsches Haus); CUNY Graduate Center; Harvard University; Rice University; University of Antwerp. Antwerp, Belgium; Zentrum für Zeithistorische Forschung. Potsdam, Germany; Goethe Institute New York; Wellesley College; Haverford College; University of California at Santa Cruz; Columbia University; University of California at Los Angeles; University of Jena, Germany; University of Leipzig, Germany; University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill; Humboldt Universität, Berlin, Germany; Pomona College; University of California at Berkeley; Kunstwerke Museum, Berlin, Germany; Universität Hannover, Hannover, Germany.
Recent Courses (select):
- History of German Cinema – LLEA 338 / German 320
- Post-1989 German Literature, Culture and Film – German 416
- Transnational Germany: Literature, Culture and Film – German 415
- German Fascism and Propaganda – LLEA 342
- German Literature, 1914 to the present – German 313
- German Literature, 1750 to 1914 – German 312