- For Students
- For Faculty
- News & Events
- News & Events
- Current Courses
- LAIS Certificate
- Contact Us
1890 East-West Rd.
Moore Hall 455
Honolulu, HI 96822
- PhD. Department of Second Language Acquisition. University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa (Summer 2008). Dissertation title: “No Me Llames de Usted, Trátame de Tú”: L2 Address Behavior Development through Synchronous Computer-Mediated Communication.
- Curso de metodología de la enseñanza del español como lengua extranjera. (Course on Teaching Methodology for Spanish as a Foreign Language) Instituto Cervantes and Department of Modern Languages, Universidad de Granada, Spain. (Summer 2005)
- Graduate Advanced Certificate, Second Language Studies (Spring 2003)
- Curso sobre la enseñanza y aprendizaje de la cultura en el aula de español como lengua extranjera. (April 2002) (Teaching and learning culture in the Spanish language classroom). Instituto Cervantes and Department of Language and Literature Methodology, Universidad de Valladolid, Spain.
- Master of Arts. Department of Linguistics, University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa. (Fall 1997). Thesis title: “SNOBOL and a study of Medieval Spanish. An application of computational linguistics to literary texts”.
- Master of Arts. Department of European Languages and Literature, Specialization in Spanish Linguistics and Literature. University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa. (Spr. 1993)
- Licenciatura – English Philology. Universidad de Valladolid, Spain (Spr.1991)
- First year Spanish language ( Span 101, 102)/ Coordinator (Spr. 1996)- University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa
- First year intensive course (Span 105) – UHM
- Second year Spanish language (Span 202) / Coordinator (Spring 1997, Fall 2001, Spring 2003, Fall 2005)- UHM
- Third year Conversation (Span 303) – UHM
- Third year Grammar and composition (Span 301 WI) – UHM
- Third year Commercial Spanish (Span 306) – UHM
- Spanish Phonetics and Pronunciation (Span 330) – UHM
- Spanish Reading (Span 300) – UHM
- Spanish for Heritage Speakers (Span 310) -UHM
- The structure of Spanish (Span 452) – UHM
- Methods for language teachers (LLL455) (On-line/Hybrid) – UHM
- Integrating Technology into Language Instruction (SLS 680P) – UHM
- Instructional Media (SLS 418) – UHM
- Fonética Contrastiva. Tercero Filología Inglesa – Universidad de Sevilla, Spain.
- Análisis Pragmático. Quinto Filología Inglesa – Universidad de Sevilla, Spain.
- Spanish in Society: Spanish Pragmatics (Span 400) -UHM
- Seminar in Spanish Linguistics (Span 658): Gramática Pedagógica del Español – UHM
- Seminar in Computer-mediated Interpersonal Communications (LLEA 681C) -UHM
- Seminar in Spanish Linguistics (Span 658): Gramática pedagógica y adquisición del español como L2-UHM
One of my main interests is CALL (Computer assited language learning). Most of my courses incorporate technology (webCT, Intenet, web-page creation, blogs, wikis, discussion forums, …) to learn Spanish in a practical manner. I enjoy teaching on line and I have created and maintain the LLEA department and its five-division web sites.
(See http://www2.hawaii.edu/~marta/ for a complete list)
- (2012) Pragmatics (volume editor) Wiley Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Carol Chapelle General Editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- (2012) Pragmatics: An overview. In C. Chapelle (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Carol Chapelle General Editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- (2012) Using the World Wide Web. In C. Chapelle (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Carol Chapelle General Editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- (2011) Conversation Analysis of Computer-mediated communication. CALICO Journal 28(2), 308-325.
- (2010) A review of Brave new digital classroom: Technology and Foreign Language Learning. By R. Blake. Language Teaching Research, 14(2).
- (2010) Effective Online Foreign Language Courses: Theoretical Framework and Practical Applications. The EUROCALL Review, 17. Available at http://www.eurocall-languages.org/review/17/index.html# nielson_gonzalez (with K. Nielson).
- (2010) Nuevas tecnologías en el aula plurilingüe. In Ch. Abelló Contesse, Ch. Ehlers, & L. Quintana Hernández (Eds.) Escenarios bilingües – el bilingüismo en el individuo y la sociedad. [Bilingual scenes – bilingualism in the individual and in the society] (pp. 79-104). Bern: Peter Lang.
- (2010) Conversation analysis and speech act performance. In A. Martínez-Flor & E. Usó-Juan (Eds.) Speech Act Performance: Theoretical, Empirical and Methodological Issues. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- (2009) “CA for computer-mediated interaction in the Spanish L2 classroom”. In G. Kasper and H. Nguyen (Eds.) Conversation analytic studies of L1 and L2 interaction, learning, and education, NFLRC and University of Hawai‘i Press
- (2009) Brett, D. and Gonzalez-Lloret, M. “Technology-enhanced materials”. In M. Long and C. Doughty (Eds.) The Handbook of Second Language Teaching. Blackwell.
- (2008) “Computer-mediated Learning of L2 Pragmatics”. In E. Alcón Soler and A. Martinez-Flor (Eds.) Investigating Pragmatics in Foreign Language Learning, Teaching and Testing. Multilingual Matters. (pp. 114-132).
(See http://www2.hawaii.edu/~marta/ for a complete list)
- (June 2012) The use of code switching in L2 Text, Audio and Video SCMC. CALICO/IALT Conference, University of Notre Dame.
- (April 2012) How do students improve their foreign language speaking skills? . 26th Annual HALT (Hawaii Association of Language Teachers) Conference. Hawai’i [with P. Chandler].
- (March 2012) The use of code-switching in text, audio, and video L2 SCMC. AAAL (American Association of Applied Linguistics) Annual Conference. Boston.
- (November 2011) TBLT for Heritage Learners. 4th Biennial International Conference on Task-Based Language Teaching. University of Auckland, NZ. [With S. Bhatawadekar & L. Aranda]
- (September 2011) Plenary presentation: Usos de la red para el desarrollo de competencias: desde la gramática hasta la interculturalidad. [Internet uses for the development of competencies: from grammar to interculturality]. XXII ASELE [Association for the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language] International Conference. University of Valladolid, Spain.
- (August 2011) L2 learning of conversation closings through computer-mediated communication. The 16th World Congress of Applied Linguistics. AILA (International Association of Applied Linguistics). Beijing Foreign Studies University, Beijing, China.
- (May 2011). Exploring openings and closings in audio, video and text CMC. CALICO Conference. University of Victoria, BC, Canada.
- (October 2010) Practical Internet activities that don’t require (much) preparation. HALT Symposium. University Hawai‘i, Mānoa.
- (July 2010) A CA Approach to the Pragmatics of CMC Troubles-talk. International Conference of Pragmatics and Language Learning. Kobe University, Japan.
- (June 2010) A CA approach to CMC. Presentation on panel “Future Research Paradigms and directions of CMC-based research”. Sponsored by the CMC Special Interest Group. CALICO Conference. University of Amherst, MA.
- (June 2010) Learning to laugh. A Conversation Analysis of computer-mediated communication. CALICO Conference. University of Amherst, MA.
- (February 2010) Distance learning and tasks. Presentation for the LAALCM i GRAL Program. University of Barcelona, Spain.
- (January 2010) Technology for Language Teaching: The Future is here. University of Jaen, Spain.
- University of Hawai‘i Research Council travel award (November 2012)
- University of Hawai‘i Research Council travel award (May 2011)
- College of LLL traveling award (May 2010)
- HALT Excellence in Teaching award (Hawaiian Association of Language Teachers) (March 2010)
- University of Hawai‘i Research Council travel award (May 2009)
- ‘Oihana Maika‘i Award for Research Excellence. Department of Second Language Studies. University of Hawai‘i (May, 2005)
- University of Hawai‘i Research Council travel award (April, 2005)
- Hawai‘i’s GSO (Graduate Student Organization) travel award (May, 2005)
For more information, visit: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~marta/