InterLibrary Loans (ILL)
The Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Service at Hamilton Library will obtain needed materials such as books, journal articles, and other materials that are not available within the UH system libraries. The ILL unit works with libraries and document suppliers across the US and internationally.
All current UH Manoa students, faculty, staff, and affiliates are eligible for these services in support of their academic scholarly or university related research activities.
We are not able to offer interlibrary loans service to alumni or community users.
The Interlibrary Loan Unit (ILL) obtains books, journal articles, and other materials when the materials are NOT available in the UH Manoa Libraries. To request books from other libraries, use the ILL Login
To request book loans from other UH System libraries, use the Voyager “Get This Item” request form.
Questions about ILL Requests
Many libraries do not lend reference books, journals (unless on microfilm), media (audiovisual, digital format, etc.), genealogical materials, archival papers, or manuscripts, but there are sometimes exceptions.
Many libraries also do not lend dissertations or theses. However, electronic copies of many dissertations from 1997 to the present may be downloaded for free from Dissertations and Theses (formerly Digital Dissertations).
- Copies are usually made available electronically online
- Circulating loans will be available for pick up at the Hamilton Library Circulation Counter.
- “Library-Use Only” loans are often rare or fragile materials that require special handling. They will be placed in the Hawaiian/Pacific Collection Reading Room on the 5th Floor.
- Microformats will be placed at the Microform Service Window on the 1st floor of the library and are “Library-Use Only”.
Check here for Microform Service Window Hours
ILL books are given either a 105-day loan (non-renewable) or 28-day loan (renewal possible), depending upon the lending library’s policy. The due date will be stamped on the ILL book band and also available for review from your Voyager My Account.
Renewals for 28-day loans are available at the discretion of the lending library. To request renewals for 28-day loans, only use the web form: http://go.hawaii.edu/ohj. The Voyager online renewal function does NOT work for ILL loans.
- Photocopies (journal articles or book chapters, for example): 1-3 days if delivered by electronic method from the supplier to us. 1-2 weeks (average) if delivered by postal mail from the supplier to us.
- Loans received by air mail from the U.S. mainland: 1-2 weeks (average); via parcel post or library rate: 4-6 weeks.
- Materials from foreign libraries usually take longer.
You will be notified by email when your requested items arrive.
- Overdues: $.25 per day
- Recalls: $.50 per day
- Fines are assessed every day including weekends and holidays
- An item is considered lost when the fine reaches $10
- Effective August 20, 2018: Lost charges include a $100 deposit fee as a minimum payment towards the lending library’s replacement cost invoice, a $10 NON-refundable UHM processing fee, accumulated overdue fines, plus any processing fees imposed by the lending library.
- Once the lending library’s invoice amount is known, the deposit will be applied against the invoice.
- If there is a balance due, the patron will be notified and a hold is placed on his/her library account for the balance.
- If there is a surplus, the patron will be notified and a refund check will be issued.
We appreciate your returning ILL loans in a timely manner. This allows us to keep a good borrowing relationship with the lending libraries. Overdue and lost books may result in the inability to borrow books from the lender in the future. Having our borrowing privileges suspended by other libraries affects everyone who uses ILL, including your fellow students, faculty, and staff. Mahalo for your consideration.
Questions about Electronic Documents
Information for other libraries
The Hamilton Library ILL Lending section will provide loans and articles to libraries that are not affiliated with the University of Hawaii to provide access to the Library’s collections. The library’s holdings may be searched in the Voyager catalog or in the OCLC WorldCat Catalog (HUH). Some specialized collections may be non-circulating.
Requests may be sent via OCLC (HUH), Docline (HIUHAU), or by email to email@example.com.
We charge for requests on a cost-recovery basis. Please contact us for pricing information. Payment is accepted by OCLC IFM, Docline EFTS, IFLA ILL Vouchers, Check drawn on a U.S. bank, or Credit Card.
We are a reciprocal partner member of the GWLA and the IDS Project consortium.
Contact the Hamilton Library ILL Office Hours: M-F 8 am – 5 pm (Hawaii Time) Phone: 1-808-956-5956 Fax: 1-808-956-5968 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Interlibrary Loan Office Hamilton Library, Rm. 101 2550 McCarthy Mall Honolulu, HI 96822 United States of America