News, Blogs & Events
(5 most recent)
- Portions of Sinclair Library not accessible Saturday, October 13, 2018 (10/8/2018) - Only Sinclair Library’s Grand Lobby, Heritage Reading Room, and ITS Wong Computer Lab will be accessible on Saturday, October 13, 2018. The rest of the building will be closed due to a planned power outage. Regular access to all study spaces are scheduled to resume on Sunday, October 14, 2018.
- 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia (12/27/2017) - A diverse group of over 40 participants attended the 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia on November 1, 2017. The event was named “War, Languages, and Un/intended Consequences: from Diderot to after World War Two” and it introduced resources ranging from the 18th century encyclopedia (Diderot), to dictionaries and language learning textbooks across China, ...
- Explore the Reef New Science & Technology Reference Exhibit (11/17/2017) - A selected collection of books, articles, maps, and Web sites from the vast and rich body of information available on coral reef ecosystems. In this exhibit learn the Hawaiian names for coral, identify the world’s oldest living marine species at Papahānaumokuākea, discover a new hermit crab species, and find out how YOU can participate in ...
- Pacific Collection awarded $1896 by SEED (11/17/2017) - The Pacific Collection has been awarded $1896 by the UH-M Office of Student Equity, Excellence and Diversity (SEED). The award will be used to help fund Ke Au Hou: Generations of Pacific Librarianship, an international conference that the Hawaiian & Pacific Collections are hosting in May 2018, in conjunction with the Center for Pacific Islands ...
- Japanese Suicide Bombers, 1932 – Asia Collection Department Exhibit (11/16/2017) - Asia Collection Department’s new exhibit, “Japanese Suicide Bombers, 1932” has been curated by our guest curators, Dr. Hanae Kramer of UHM School of Communications and Mr. Scott Kramer. Please come and learn part of history induced by World War II. The exhibit is from November 6, 2016 through January 12, 2018, on the 4th Floor ...
(5 most recent)
Words in Motion: Sharing Writing and Cultural Perspectives E Ho`olauna Kākou
by Alice Kim on January 14, 2019 at 8:05 pm
“Words in Motion: Sharing Writing and Cultural Perspectives E Ho`olauna Kākou” Tuesday, January 22, 11:30am – 12:30pm Building 7, Room 521, Honolulu Campus, 874 […]
Year of the Pig Shinnenkai at Jikoen Hongwanji Temple
by okinawacollection on January 8, 2019 at 9:00 am
Ukwanshin Kabudan [=御冠船歌舞団] a Ryukyu/Okinawa performing arts troupe based in Hawai`i, announced that they would throw a Lunar New Year Celebration at […]
HUOA Anthology Project: Commemorating 120th Anniversary of Okinawans in Hawai‘i
by okinawacollection on January 7, 2019 at 10:00 am
The Hawai’i United Okinawa Association (HUOA) announced that it will solicit original works to commemorate the 120th anniversary of Okinawans in Hawai’i. The first Okinawan immigrants […]
Okinawa Festival in Yokohama Japan
by okinawacollection on December 24, 2018 at 10:00 am
There are two major cities in mainland Japan where many Okinawans migrated for work. Tsurumi-ku (Tsurumi Ward) in Yokohama City is one of the areas where Okinawan descendants keep their culture […]
Honolulu’s 1908 Christmas Eve
by Alice Kim on December 24, 2018 at 7:44 am
Christmas eve in Honolulu in 1908 is similar to today’s: last-minute shopping, church services, and parties. The Hawaiian Star captured these scenes and more in “Christmas Well […]