News, Blogs & Events
(5 most recent)
- 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia (12/27/2017) - A diverse group of over 40 participants attended the 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia on November 1, 2017. The event was named “War, Languages, and Un/intended Consequences: from Diderot to after World War Two” and it introduced resources ranging from the 18th century encyclopedia (Diderot), to dictionaries and language learning textbooks across China, ...
- Explore the Reef New Science & Technology Reference Exhibit (11/17/2017) - A selected collection of books, articles, maps, and Web sites from the vast and rich body of information available on coral reef ecosystems. In this exhibit learn the Hawaiian names for coral, identify the world’s oldest living marine species at Papahānaumokuākea, discover a new hermit crab species, and find out how YOU can participate in ...
- Pacific Collection awarded $1896 by SEED (11/17/2017) - The Pacific Collection has been awarded $1896 by the UH-M Office of Student Equity, Excellence and Diversity (SEED). The award will be used to help fund Ke Au Hou: Generations of Pacific Librarianship, an international conference that the Hawaiian & Pacific Collections are hosting in May 2018, in conjunction with the Center for Pacific Islands ...
- Japanese Suicide Bombers, 1932 – Asia Collection Department Exhibit (11/16/2017) - Asia Collection Department’s new exhibit, “Japanese Suicide Bombers, 1932” has been curated by our guest curators, Dr. Hanae Kramer of UHM School of Communications and Mr. Scott Kramer. Please come and learn part of history induced by World War II. The exhibit is from November 6, 2016 through January 12, 2018, on the 4th Floor ...
- 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia (11/3/2017) - A diverse group of over 40 participants attended the 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia on November 1, 2017. The event was named “War, Languages, and Un/intended Consequences: from Diderot to after World War Two” and it introduced resources ranging from the 18th century encyclopedia (Diderot), to dictionaries and language learning textbooks across China, ...
(5 most recent)
Okinawan Textile Workshops at HoMA
by okinawacollection on June 18, 2018 at 12:00 pm
The Honolulu Museum of Art is currently having an exhibition titled “Lacquer and Clay: Okinawan Art.” WHAT: Lacquer and Clay: Okinawan Art WHEN: May 10–September 23, 2018 WHERE: […]
Okinawa Memorial Day Event by Hawaii United Okinawa Association
by okinawacollection on June 15, 2018 at 5:00 pm
The Hawai’i United Okinawa Association will commemorate the Okinawa Memorial Day, as known as “Irei no hi / 慰霊の日” in Okinawa on June 21, 2018. Below is […]
Charles Reed Bishop Died
by Alice Kim on June 7, 2018 at 8:02 am
Today in history — June 7, 1915 — Charles Reed Bishop died in San Francisco. Hailing from Glens Falls, New York, Bishop was a businessman, philanthropist, and husband of Bernice Pauahi […]
Japanese Film about Senaga Kamejirō
by okinawacollection on June 1, 2018 at 7:00 am
A film titled “The man the United States feared most: Kamejirō” was released in Japan. Title (rough translation): The Man the United States Feared the Most: (Senaga) […]
Traditional Burial in Okinawa Captured in DVD
by okinawacollection on May 11, 2018 at 7:00 am
A company called Kaiensha (海燕社) released a 2-disc DVD set titled Sosen to no utage gangōsai: Yaese-chō Tōme, Kogusuku […]