News, Blogs & Events
(5 most recent)
- 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia (12/27/2017) - A diverse group of over 40 participants attended the 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia on November 1, 2017. The event was named “War, Languages, and Un/intended Consequences: from Diderot to after World War Two” and it introduced resources ranging from the 18th century encyclopedia (Diderot), to dictionaries and language learning textbooks across China, ...
- Explore the Reef New Science & Technology Reference Exhibit (11/17/2017) - A selected collection of books, articles, maps, and Web sites from the vast and rich body of information available on coral reef ecosystems. In this exhibit learn the Hawaiian names for coral, identify the world’s oldest living marine species at Papahānaumokuākea, discover a new hermit crab species, and find out how YOU can participate in ...
- Pacific Collection awarded $1896 by SEED (11/17/2017) - The Pacific Collection has been awarded $1896 by the UH-M Office of Student Equity, Excellence and Diversity (SEED). The award will be used to help fund Ke Au Hou: Generations of Pacific Librarianship, an international conference that the Hawaiian & Pacific Collections are hosting in May 2018, in conjunction with the Center for Pacific Islands ...
- Japanese Suicide Bombers, 1932 – Asia Collection Department Exhibit (11/16/2017) - Asia Collection Department’s new exhibit, “Japanese Suicide Bombers, 1932” has been curated by our guest curators, Dr. Hanae Kramer of UHM School of Communications and Mr. Scott Kramer. Please come and learn part of history induced by World War II. The exhibit is from November 6, 2016 through January 12, 2018, on the 4th Floor ...
- 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia (11/3/2017) - A diverse group of over 40 participants attended the 2nd Treasures at UH Hamilton Library Colloquia on November 1, 2017. The event was named “War, Languages, and Un/intended Consequences: from Diderot to after World War Two” and it introduced resources ranging from the 18th century encyclopedia (Diderot), to dictionaries and language learning textbooks across China, ...
(5 most recent)
Chinese New Year in Prison
by Alice Kim on January 17, 2018 at 7:49 am
This month in history — January 1900 — Quarantined Chinese people in Hawaii wanted to celebrate their most important holiday: Chinese New Year. They requested from the government 25,000 […]
Seven More Regions will be Added to the Ryukyu Language Database housed by the University of the Ryukyus Library
by Sachiko Iwabuchi 岩渕祥子 on January 16, 2018 at 7:00 am
According to The Okinawa Times, by the year 2021, seven more regions in Okinawa and Amami will be added to the existing the Ryukuy Language database. The database started in 1998 to preserve and […]
The Beginning of Waikiki Aquarium
by Alice Kim on January 12, 2018 at 7:23 am
This month in history — January 1903 — developers planned an aquarium in Kapiolani Park to attract visitors. Today, the Waikiki Aquarium educates the public about the ocean […]
New Resource: Days Japan Monthly Photo Journalism
by Sachiko Iwabuchi 岩渕祥子 on January 12, 2018 at 7:00 am
The Library has subscribed to a monthly journal titled DAYS JAPAN [https://daysjapan.net/]. DAYS JAPAN is a monthly photo journal, and pays attention to the issues in Okinawa. The Library purchased […]
National Diet Library of Japan launches a new online service
by Sachiko Iwabuchi 岩渕祥子 on January 8, 2018 at 1:00 pm
On January 5, 2018, the National Diet Library of Japan (NDL) launched its new online service. https://ndlonline.ndl.go.jp/#!/?lang=en The new service will “provide users with greater […]