The landscaping department here at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa is part of the Buildings and Grounds Management division of the Office of Facilities and Grounds. Our motto is "People Serving With Pride, Joy, and Aloha!" and we live up to that every day we are on the job. We are responsible for maintaining the grounds of the main campus, as well as a few of the University's outlying areas. A map of the areas we maintain can be found here.
We are the ones who mow your lawns, trim your hedges, pull your weeds, and landscape your green spaces. Our equipment operators also dispose of campus waste, collect recycling, move earth, and fill pot holes, among many other things. We also have a full-service nursery on campus which provides plants for various activities and gatherings around the University, maintains our stock plants, and is also responsible for vector control. So now you know where to come for all your rat, roach, and ant traps!
Serving the University is extremely rewarding, and serving with pride, joy, and aloha is easy when we know our hard work provides a world-class learning environment for the future of our not only our state, but the world at large.
- To develop the campus grounds into a botanical garden that faculty and students can use as a resource for teaching and learning.
- To develop and maintain a beautiful and sustainable park-like setting enjoyed by students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- To build a program based on a more efficient process in order to open communication and understanding between workers, management, administration, the public and the community.
- To develop a comprehensive refuse and recycling program.
- To create gathering spaces throughout the campus to promote interaction and collegiality.
- To have a staff that takes pride in their work and the campus grounds, and is trained and respected in the landscape industry.
- To identify plants with horticultural and botanical significance and label, catalog, and map them, along with all assets and utilities we maintain.
- Use our resources wisely and create sustainable landscapes.
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Friday 6 a.m.- 2:30 p.m.
Scheduled State Holidays 2012
- Jan. 16 - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - Monday
- Feb. 20 - President's Day - Monday
- Mar. 26 - Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day - Monday
- Apr. 6 - Good Friday - Friday
- May 28 - Memorial Day - Monday
- June 11 - King Kamehameha I Day - Monday
- July 4 - Independence Day - Wednesday
- Aug. 17 - Statehood Day - Friday
- Sept. 3- Labor Day - Monday
- Nov. 6 - General Election Day - Tuesday
- Nov. 12 - Veterans' Day - Monday
- Nov. 22 - Thanksgiving - Thursday
- Dec. 25 - Christmas - Tuesday
Useful Documents and Links