Skip to main content



Wellington, NEW ZEALAND (southernmost point of north island)

Victoria University has four campuses, three of which are within a 20-minute walk of each other in the city centre; Kelburn, Te Aro and Pipitea. Karori is a 10-minute drive from the city centre. Learn more about living in Wellington

  • Kelburn Campus - Humanities, Social Sciences, Engineering
  • Pipitea Campus - Commerce, Administration, Law
  • Te Aro Campus - Architecture, Design
  • Karori Campus - Education


Open to undergraduate and graduate students in all majors.

Academic areas: Architecture, Arts, Biomedical Science, Building Science, Commerce & Administration, Design Innovation, Education, Engineering, Law, Music, Science, and Tourism Management.

Note to Business Students: This university is AACSB accredited.

Sample courses for study abroad students

Full list of academic subjects at Victoria University


Yes - English is an official language in New Zealand, and the language of instruction at the University.


Fall Semester Mid July - mid November ("Trimester 2")
Spring Semester Early March - early July ("Trimester 1")
Students may study at VUW for two consecutive semesters, starting in the fall or spring. Students who spend the academic year at VUW may also take Trimester 3 (November - February).

Victoria University Academic Calendar


On-campus housing is available for exchange students. Victoria University has 15 different Halls of Residence. Some halls are catered (have a cafeteria), and others are self-catered (shared kitched).
Arrange your own housing
Students may opt to find their own off-campus apartment or flat.


TUITION - MIX students register as full-time students at UH Manoa and pay regular UHM tuition & fees.  Your tuition category (Resident, Non-Resident, WUE, etc., stays the same). You do not pay overseas tuition. 

LIVING EXPENSES - You are responsible for all living expenses, including health insurance, books/supplies, room & meals, personal expenses, airfare, local transportation, and any costs associated with obtaining a visa (if applicable). Below are estimates for planning purposes only; amounts are listed per semester, and will vary based on your individual needs.    

  • Health Insurance: $200-400
  • Books & Supplies: $300-500
  • Room & Meals: $4,800-8,000
  • Personal Expenses: $2,000-2,500
  • Airfare & Local Transportation: $2,200-3,200
  • Visa Expenses: $0

FINANCIAL AID - Since you are still a registered UHM student while on MIX, you continue to be eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships.  If you submit a ‘MIX Student Budget for Financial Aid Purposes’ form, UHM financial aid will take into consideration your overseas living and travel expenses when awarding your grants/loans. More info on Financial Aid & Scholarships for MIX   


New Zealand Visa Information: Exchange students must obtain a student visa before entering New Zealand, even if they are from 'visa-free countries.' See the Immigration New Zealand website for information on applying for a student visa. Most UHM students apply for their student visa through the Los Angeles consulate through the mail. Processing time for a student visa is about 25 days; the visa application fee is waived for U.S. citizens. As part of the visa application process, students are required to show that they have at least $7,500 worth of available funds, plus either a return airline ticket or at least $1,000 extra to purchase a return airline ticket.

New Zealand Seasons: Remember that, since New Zealand is in the southern hemisphere, the seasons are reversed. Plan ahead for your visit to New Zealand by checking out the climate and seasons.


MIX by Major


Financial Aid & Scholarships


Outbound FAQs


Pre-Departure Information


Returnee Information


Apply Now

Victoria UniversityVictoria University